Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fulkerson Osteotomy, Medial Reefing and Lateral Release  (Read 13291 times)

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 18
Re: Fulkerson Osteotomy, Medial Reefing and Lateral Release
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2013, 09:21:02 PM »
having a crappy day pain wise. Ugh. I think walking around and driving with no immobilizer is catching up to me. Was supposed to go to PT today but one of my kids was sick. Guess I need to take it easy a little more.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope
3/2013 TTO, Lateral Release, Medial Reefing, Grade III Patella lesion.
11/2013 TTO L knee, LR, Medial Reefing, R knee screw removal

Offline adriennemarie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2013, 12:05:03 AM »
Hope you feel better soon!  Your knee is probably not on the same page as your mind with what you're ready to do!

Offline DebbieCJ

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »
Hi Jess,
Sorry you're having bad days - hopefully it's getting better?
I've been much the same, one day good, the next bad but overall moving in the right direction. Have noticed my exercising is easier since I was told to reduce it right down.
I'm now trying to lose the last crutch, but still feel safer with it!
2008 steroid injections, Bilateral arthroscopy
2012 bilateral arthroscopy, cartilage biopsy
2013 MACI (patella), Fulkerson and lateral release march 15th

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2013, 08:09:18 PM »
Thanks!

Adriennemarie- I think you are right! My brain is saying "go go go you are free!" but my knee/leg is not ready to go that fast. How are you doing?

DebbieCJ- Yeah just depends on the day. I felt great at therapy on Wed. They stretched me out and I did a lot of stuff. Next 2 days I was sore and stiff. Not painful sore just good muscle sore. It has been stormy and humid here so yesterday I was really stiff and just sat around with a heating pad on my leg and knee. I want to try going on a slow walk or using my bike on the trainer and doing 1/2 revolutions or something. I hope you can lose your crutch soon! I know your recovery is different from mine bc of the cartilage. Hope you are doing ok!.

I'm doing ok, as posted above I have good days and bad. The stiffness is frustrating bc I want to do more.  Maybe I need to get in the pool more or take a nice slow walk or try to bike. Not sure I can do a full revolution yet since my ROM is still under 100 (I think). I know it's not a race but I'm impatient so this is a new lesson for me to learn. Almost like having my little ones and learning to be patient with them ;).

I think I mentioned earlier I am only going to physical therapy 1x a week. My INS copay is insane and my surgeon thought I was doing pretty well at my 6 week post op visit. I got handouts on home exercises so I do those everyday. I fire my quad all the time. My therapist also said that just taking care of my kids should help bc I am constantly on my feet. Sometimes I can't even ice (or heat) until they are in bed or at least eating, lol.

Question for anyone reading- anything you find that helps with the stiffness? Heat? Swimming? Trying to bike or do 1/2 revolutions? At least I can drive and get around so not too many complaints. I do have pain here and there. I think my muscles near my knee cap are spazzing or contracting? Then my knee cap hurts pretty bad. Waking up in the middle of the night or first thing in the AM kind of sucks pain & stiffness wise.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline DebbieCJ

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2013, 06:22:10 PM »
Hi Jess,
I'm having a physio session every 2 weeks, not because of cost (insurance will pay for 6 months worth, regardless of frequency) but my physio has given me a list of exercises to do at home and doesn't need to see me any more often. Maybe once the 12 week post op mark has passed and the exercises get more strenuous, she'll want me there once a week?

A heat pack helps a little with the stiffness, but to honest, anything I do for any length of time seems to make it feel stiff. I fing moving little and often, and changing position frequently when sitting or lying down helps, although this can be tricky at night so stiffness in the morning is common.

Debbie
2008 steroid injections, Bilateral arthroscopy
2012 bilateral arthroscopy, cartilage biopsy
2013 MACI (patella), Fulkerson and lateral release march 15th

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2013, 07:42:03 PM »
I'm finally up to about 110 degrees ROM! I'm 9 weeks post op right now. I wasn't sure how much progress I was making but I am making a decent amount I think so I am happy with that!

2 weeks ago they only had me do 1/2 revs on the bike but yesterday I was able to bike normally. It felt good, little tight, but I felt loose afterwards.

Swelling is improving but is still noticeable especially to my physical therapist. I do have pain and stiffness here and there, more so in the morning and at night. Hoping to start walking a mile or two a few times a week and swim.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2013, 04:56:07 PM »
Hello! I am 11 weeks post-op today! Doing ok, still have some pain (maybe it's more my arthritis from grade 3 lesion?), some swelling and stiffness. Doing well in physical therapy. I am only going 1x per week bc it is so expensive. I try to do home exercises when I am not too busy with the kids. Going to start biking on my trainer at home too.

Spent a lot of time at therapy this week. Got to bike for 10min and did great. Still have some endurance in me too :). Felt good to work up a sweat again. I think just running my kids around all the time is helping my recovery as well. Can't really sit that long w/o having to get up and help them with something. I am around 115 degrees in my ROM now. Was sick last week so didn't do much between PT sessions. I think I have a way to go to get both legs equal in ROM. I see some muscle growth in my quad, VMO area and medial side of knee. Had some tight feeling medial pain last night. Thinking it was from my PT stretching my leg a little too far this week. I'm sure he probably did that to push me a bit past my safe zone. I also had medial reefing done so maybe that area is still settling down.

Cannot wait for this hump like swelling from knee cap to osteotomy site to go down. Sometimes you can push the fluid around, ha ha. Most of my stiffness and pain is first thing in the AM or later in the day if I do too much. I try to use a heating pad in the AM if I have time, helps me loosen up.

Would love to at least walk or run intervals in a 5K this Fall if OS gives the go ahead. Going to start walking a few miles a few times a week hopefully starting tomorrow. Feeling pretty good overall :).
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2013, 03:39:45 PM »
14 weeks Post Op- Doing pretty well. Got to 130 degrees Flexion this week. I've been trying to work really, really hard to get my ROM back these last few weeks. I was feeling frustrated and stuck. I can leg press a decent amount of weight with just my R leg. I have also been biking 20-30min on my bike on a trainer in my house a few times a week as well as doing home PT exercises. I see my OS next week. My L leg goes to about 140 but my PT says 130 is fantastic. I can feel how uneven my legs are so I really want to try to get to 140 if possible. I know my OS wants my legs even too.

That's about it! Feeling good and even contemplating getting my L knee done now. I can totally see the difference and how bad my L knee is in comparison to my realigned R knee. I do want to make sure I have enough time between surgeries and enough strength. Anyone reading this have a TTT/TTO on both knees? How far apart were your surgeries? Any advice?
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2013, 10:42:40 PM »
Wow, it's been almost 2 mos since I've posted on here!

Hit my 5 month post-op mark the other day. Doing pretty good. Have full ROM back (maybe even better than I had it 5 yrs ago after my traumatic dislocation & scope). Still going to physical therapy but just working on my quad strength. Lifting about 90lbs on 1 legged leg press. I'm not sure what a lot is but 90lbs starts to make my L quad burn once I get to my 3rd and 4th sets. Hopefully that means my R quad is getting close in strength now. I can also take stairs w/o a lot of pain, it's amazing! I've had to carry my littlest one up and downstairs while she's been asleep too. After awhile it starts to hurt though.

Started fast walking since I'm not cleared to run yet. I want to build up my endurance so I can run again once OS says ok. Walked 3.5 miles earlier this week (2 the week prior). I wasn't too sore or anything the next morning. I was running 2-5 miles up until surgery so I think I still have some endurance left in me. I want to run a race or two this Fall, even if it's just a fun run or something with my kids and I alternate between walking and jogging.

I've decided I'm ready to go for the same surgery on my L knee. OS said whenever I am ready he can fix it up too. He said it's probably just as bad as my R, probably has Grade III damage to the cartilage as well. I can tell how much it grinds when I do some of my PT exercises. It hurts a lot more now that it's compensated so much for my R knee, especially over all these years. I want the L done sooner than later so recovery is still fresh in my mind and maybe I can get my ROM back easier this time. I should be able to drive after a few weeks vs 6-7 weeks when I had my R knee done. It also might help my R quad get stronger since it will have to compensate for my L. I also want my R screw taken out. I do too much housework and squatting and kneeling down for my kids so I might as well have him take the R screw out at the same time as the L TTO.

Has anyone had their screw(s) taken out of one leg at the same time as their TTO/TTT on the opposite leg? I'm not too worried and I figure the first week I'll just be laying around taking meds and sleeping anyway so any pain in my R leg shouldn't phase me compared to the L ;).

So far so good. I think a good part of this recovery is just having a good attitude and trying to remember to take it 1 day at a time. The other part is hard work at Physical therapy and trying not to get frustrated if you have to take a step back.

That's about it! (if anyone actually reads this, ha ha).
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

support