Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fulkerson Osteotomy, Medial Reefing and Lateral Release  (Read 13296 times)

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 18
Re: Fulkerson Osteotomy, Medial Reefing and Lateral Release
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2013, 02:33:14 AM »
Kneetrouble03- mine was the same way with the coloring and cold feeling. Just keep it elevated as much as possible. It will get better by 3 weeks post op.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope
3/2013 TTO, Lateral Release, Medial Reefing, Grade III Patella lesion.
11/2013 TTO L knee, LR, Medial Reefing, R knee screw removal

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2013, 02:35:41 AM »
Post Op Day 29 Things are well. I went to the grocery store the other day and walked around for awhile with my 2 kids. Felt like a kid in a candy store being able to go shopping again. It had been about a month since I did the grocery shopping. My shin ached some when I got home but nothing too bad. I can't wait ot get out of this immobilizer! Less than 3 weeks. I hope I can walk once it's off and there is enough muscle left.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2013, 03:13:59 AM »
Post op Day 31 Feeling good! Just wanted to note that after walking around the grocery store for 30min and then spending 2 hours at my child's school this evening I had some minor swelling and pain. I was hoping that I would avoid the swelling but I think I'm overeager right now  ;). Have a few beach parties to attend this weekend so maybe I can loosen up my leg in the water.

Did any of you use any type of knee brace or sleeve once you were cleared from your immobilizer? I'm thinking I might want something for support since my quad has a decent amount of atrophy. I do have one of those patella sleeves (not sure what they are called?) that I wore after a traumatic dislocation years ago.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 06:10:34 PM »
Post of Day 33- or should I just say 1 month now? LOL.

I have a question for anyone reading that might know the answer. Do you think it would be ok to walk 3 blocks to the park? I have walked through the grocery store a few times for about 30min with no issues, no pain, no increase in swelling. I know I should ask my Dr but it seems like a short distance. I don't want to over do it though.

Can't wait to start physical therapy in 2 weeks or so. Might go for a swim this weekend.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2013, 04:37:29 PM »
I have another question if anyone is reading this. Will post in the General section too just in case.

I am cleared to stretch, bend etc when sitting. My OS won't start my physical therapy for at least another 2 weeks (6-7 weeks post op). I don't want to get too stiff. Feel like I'm in this brace all the time. Don't take it off at night because I have kids and want to be able to get out of bed quickly. I do, however, loosen my brace so I can stretch a little while I sleep.

Last night I was trying to fire my quad and bend my knee just a little. When it was only slightly bent I all the sudden got a bad, bad pain on the medial side (I had medial reefing done too). It felt like my knee cap was about to dislocate or something was going to pop. I stopped moving all together and just waited. Finally I was able to get my leg straight. It did it again so I figured that was my sign to put my immobilizer back on. I also felt kind of a crunching or crackling in there. I had crepitus before surgery but it wasn't in this area. This feels different.  I can only bend it to maybe 60-80 degrees without pain or feeling I'm doing too much . I wasn't given a CPM or anything after surgery.  Does this sound like a possible normal healing pain? I was very weird, just felt like something wasn't right even though I wasn't doing too much.

Thanks if anyone answers. My next appt is less than 2 weeks away. If it happens again I will call my OS. I feel fine this AM but haven't take my immobilizer off yet.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2013, 06:49:16 PM »
Just in case anyone is reading this or references this later.... I ended up calling my OS because of the pain in the medial side of my knee. It only happens when my knee is slightly bent. It really feels like my knee cap is going to dislocate or something is ripping. OS office said it's just part of the recovery. I asked if it could be scar tissue and all they said was that if it is then the stretches I am doing will help. I see my OS next week so will ask more questions then.

A few times I've put a heating pad on my knee for a few minutes and then tried to do some stretching. I only stretch until I feel the pull, no pain other than what I mentioned. Last night while doing this I heard 3 pops so I am not sure if that was scar tissue or fluid or what. The pops didn't hurt, just surprised me.

Otherwise things are good. I can walk very well with just my immobilizer on. Hoping I can walk ok without it next week after I see my OS.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline DebbieCJ

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »
Hi Jess,
I've replied to a couple of your questions in my own diary.

Just wanted to add that since I've been walking without my leg brace, I've had a couple of instances (one today) where I've thought my leg was going to give way, due to the weakness in my thigh muscles.
My surgeon has said I don't need the crutches anymore, but without the one I was using today I'd have fallen!
I'm going to keep using it for a while yet.

As for popping noises, I haven't experienced that, although my knee still has a lot of fluid in it and it causes tightness when I bend. I've been massaging the area around my knee quite hard for the last week or so, a couple of times a day to try and soften the scar tissue and other 'stuff' in the area. It does seem to help with bending exercises!

Good luck,
Debbie
2008 steroid injections, Bilateral arthroscopy
2012 bilateral arthroscopy, cartilage biopsy
2013 MACI (patella), Fulkerson and lateral release march 15th

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2013, 10:32:52 PM »
Thanks Debbie! I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me :).

That doesn't sound fun about your leg giving way while walking. I'm going to ask if I can maybe wear a small brace or my patella support sleeve I wore years ago. I would like to have some support yet not completely immobilize my leg.

Thanks for the massaging tip. I've been trying to use just a little heat at night, massage and stretch. My husband has been awesome and will massage it some too. Going swimming this weekend as well so hopefully that will help loosen my knee up too.

I'm not sure why my osteotomy site is still puffy. It feels totally numb so that's good for now.

Thanks again!
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2013, 06:47:38 PM »
6 WEEKS TODAY!!! WOOHOOO!

I am so bored... cannot wait to drive. Getting nervous about starting physical therapy. I've read some scary things on some posts about having to work through the pain or having the PT push on your knee to help break up scar tissue. Luckily the place I used to go to doesn't make you work through the pain. I talked to a friend from my running group that just finished her therapy there and couldn't bend to 90 degrees when she started. She's now running in 5 min intervals.

History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 03:32:48 PM »
Getting excited for my appt tomorrow. Hoping I am cleared from this immobilizer finally! I can almost get to 90 degrees now just from stretching at home. Haven't had any formal therapy yet. That horrible ripping feeling in my knee is getting better so I really wonder if that was just scar tissue and maybe I worked through it by stretching. I think I will be able to walk ok without my immobilizer but I will be worried about my knee giving out since I don't have much muscle left in my quad. I can fire my quad and do a straight leg lift so hoping those are good signs. Can't wait to be active again!
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline DebbieCJ

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 04:25:23 PM »
Good luck for tomorrow!
I know it's really exciting to be moving on to the next stage of recovery - be sure to take it easy and follow the physio protocol, it's easy to do too much then suffer for it the next day. 😟
I resorted to painkillers yesterday, knee was really painful for no discernible reason. Didn't do my full set of exercises and it seems much better today, so back to the bike this evening!

Keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Debbie
2008 steroid injections, Bilateral arthroscopy
2012 bilateral arthroscopy, cartilage biopsy
2013 MACI (patella), Fulkerson and lateral release march 15th

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 06:13:34 PM »
I'm freeeeeeeeee! So excited! I can walk, drive etc now. He tested my ROM and asked me do a straight leg lift (which I did just fine). I am just about to 90 degrees now. I haven't had any physical therapy at all just stretched on my own at home. I will start therapy soon though and keep up with my home exercises. I can walk ok without my immobilizer. I have one of those patella support sleeves and he said that is a good transitional brace/support if I need it. He also said I might need the immobilizer for another week when out and about. Will try not to wear it in the house though so I can build my muscle back up.

I got a copy of my OP Report and it stated that I have a Grade III Lesion on my patella. I'm guessing that is not good? I know I have very little cartilage left under my knee cap ever since my traumatic dislocation 4 years ago.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline adriennemarie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2013, 02:39:37 PM »
Good for you!  Happy to hear you are getting back to normal. It's nice to know there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2013, 10:03:35 PM »
Thanks Adrienne! My knee is still kind of stiff but I've been driving and grocery shopping today with no immobilizer. It feels like the more I do it helps loosen my leg and knee up. I will finally start physical therapy next week. Hope it's not too bad since I've been doing a lot of stretching at home.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2013, 01:21:04 AM »
approx 7 weeks post-op. Loving my new freedom, lol. I can drive which is great. So glad I stretched a lot during my recovery and tried to work through some of the stiffness. I'm sure if I didn't then I wouldn't be able to drive right now.

I've noticed my leg sweats a lot at night. Anyone else have this? I'm thinking it's a sign of healing? I also have a lot more pain at night and first thing in the morning from not wearing my immobilizer and probably doing too much during the day. I was wearing a patella support sleeve but I'm going to look at buying an adjustable one that isn't so tight and compressive.

I still have swelling in my knee. Not sure when that will go away but my OS didn't say anything about it or seem concerned so I'm not worried about it. Definitely icing my shin and knee at night, feels so good.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope