Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fulkerson Osteotomy, Medial Reefing and Lateral Release  (Read 13104 times)

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 18
Fulkerson Osteotomy, Medial Reefing and Lateral Release
« on: March 30, 2013, 12:45:05 AM »
Hi!

Just got home from my surgery. I feel ok for the moment because of the nerve block and shot of pain meds I got before I left. They said nerve block should wear off in middle of the night. I hope I will be ok.

I am in an immoblizer and have crutches.

Will try to post more tomorrow.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope
3/2013 TTO, Lateral Release, Medial Reefing, Grade III Patella lesion.
11/2013 TTO L knee, LR, Medial Reefing, R knee screw removal

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
Re: Fulkerson Osteotomy, Medial Reefing and Lateral Release
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 06:26:30 PM »
Post-op Day 1- I'm about 24 hours post nerve block. I'm guessing more pain might set in soon? So far so good but I'm sure the worst is still to come. Thinking positive though and hoping it won't be too bad.

Slept on the couch all night so I'd be able to get meds, food & drinks.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 12:39:10 AM »
Post op Day 2  Was in a lot of pain when I first woke up. Once I started moving around and took my pain meds I felt a little better. Took a nap and went out to dinner with the family for Easter. I hope I don't pay for it later but I had my leg up the whole time we were there. Hoping to ditch at least one crutch by the end of the week.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 02:03:22 PM »
Post Op Day 3&4 Doing ok. Took my bandages off last night. I thought it would look worse than it actually did. There is some bruising. Incision doesn't look too big so hopefully once it's healed and I put some Mederma or something on it it won't look too bad. My ankle is swollen and a little blue. I think that is within the normal range from what I've read. Doesn't really hurt.

I am able to walk heal to toe with both crutches or just one (with immobilizer on). I was told I can ditch them around Day 5-7 if I feel ready. I do get winded and hot just walking around for a few minutes. Anti-nausea meds made my mouth so dry and I still feel so thirsty.

I think that is all. I'm still pretty sleepy and foggy from the meds. Trying to space them out a little more now.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 02:16:31 AM »
Is this thing on? Anyone out there?

Post-op Day 5 Last night/early AM had a lot of pain as well as today. Was able to take a nice 2.5 hour nap this AM after I took my pain meds. Haven't done much except ice and lay around. I'm wondering if the bone is starting to heal and that is why there is more pain today? I can still walk heal to toe with crutches but a few times today I'd rather not use my R leg at all.  Swelling and bruising is increased today. My ankle is pretty black and blue. Noticed some bruising on the back of my thigh too. Incision sites look good though, no drainage or anything.

Kids have been pretty good too. Thank god for family to help out. It will be nice to be active again and not worry about my R knee.

1st Post-op appt in the AM. Do they normally take x-rays at the first post-op appt?

Thanks for listening/reading. Any encouragement is welcome. Trying to remain positive. Today was a long, boring and painful day.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 02:19:36 AM by JessJess28 »
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
Post Op Days 6&7- Had my post-op appt yesterday, went well. They said my bruising and swelling looks good in comparison to others they have seen. Had an xray done. He only put 1 screw in. Everything I've seen they use 2? I didn't ask him why, just commented that he only used 1. I can get in the pool next week if I want. I am able to bend my knee when sitting just not when weight bearing. Had a small tear in my meniscus and he said my patella was bearly in the groove, was rubbing on the outside almost bone on bone. Nervous about getting the Left knee done but if this works out well it will be nice to have stable knees for once.

Today has been rough. I didn't even want to get out of bed this AM to help get the kids ready for school. It just hurts too much especially those first few minutes on my feet.  :'( I know I've read the first two weeks are the worst so hopefully by the end of next week I'll see some improvement.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline randomlife

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 04:48:53 PM »
Hang in there! It sounds good that your bruising/swelling doesn't look too bad. I had an Elmslie TTT, and I remember that I had pretty terrible pain days right at a week post-op, but about day 10, I started to feel SO much better. Hopefully, you'll get that same relief soon!

Cheers,
lk
03/10: Lateral tibial plateau fx
05/11: Chondroplasty of lateral tibial plateau and patella w/ extensive synovectomy
02/12: Grade III lesions on patella, new Grade II fissure on medial femoral condyle
09/12: DeNovo and Elmslie-Trillat TTT
01/14: Hardware removal and arthroscopy

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 04:52:50 PM »
Glad things look like they are healing well.  Do hang in there though, it is always tough mentally and emotionally to go through surgery and the healing process.  Physically, people automatically assume that when you are on the mend and (time has passed) you should be doing well on every front.... that isn't always so - especially when frustrated, tired, scared, etc.  So hang in there!  Let a frustrated scream out, then play a game, watch a good movie, take a shower (be careful  ;)), do something that brings your spirits up.

I'm sure it is hard with kids too... things will get easier :)  Hope you have a much better day!

God Bless,

Misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 09:23:59 PM »
Thank you MistyD and LK!

Yesterday and today seem much better. Got to sneak out for lunch while the kids were with the grandparents. Kept my leg elevated the whole time.

I think once the nasty bruising is gone I will feel better too. I have a huge bruise on the back of my thigh from the tourniquet, yuck.

Looking forward to everything getting easier this week! 
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 04:13:25 PM »
Good for you for taking the opportunity to get out!  Always refreshes the spirit to get out of bed and out of the claustrophobic-ness of the house (claustrophobic only because you feel chained there, lol).  Anytime you are feeling down, just think about the fact that your knee troubles should all be over now, and that this recovery is just only for a short time  ;)

Have an excellent week!

God Bless,

Misty

'95 -knee injury
...awaiting ACI

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 12:26:23 AM »
Post Op Day 11- Finally getting somewhat better when I stand up! I didn't feel those "blood rushes" the first few to 5 days but once I did, oww! The worst pain is in the AM when I haven't taken any pain meds for 8-12 hours. Pain combined with the ankle and foot swelling makes it really hard to move quickly in the AM with the kids. Thankfully my husband has been super helpful making breakfast and lunches for the kids.

I am cleared to bend my knee when sitting or swimming but I find it really hard to bend more than say 30 degrees. Are there any tips? I'm guessing the swelling hinders some bending but I know I've read that some of  you can bend close to 90 degrees or so when close to 2 weeks post-op. I don't want to rush it but if I can start working now on ROM I'm sure it will be good for me. I won't start PT until 6 weeks post-op.

Have any of you had blisters from your steri stips? OMG, I have 4 huge ones! They finally drained on their own, gross. The 4 blisters are bigger than the incision. Incision I'd say is maybe 1.5-2 inches long. Hoping to put some Mederma or something on it once the scab is gone. Seems kind of cool to me that they can move the tubercle and put a screw in it all from a tiny incision.

Can't wait for the swelling in my ankle and foot to go away. OS office told me it could be a month until it stops. I also think I'm feeling some pain from the LR, on the side and behind my knee. Not sure when that will feel better.

Things are looking good though. I think the worst is over  :)
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 04:44:04 PM »
Post-op Day 14 I made it 2 weeks! Woohoo! Things are getting better. I think my foot and ankle swelling is still the worst along with the nasty bruising in that area and upper thigh.  I try to ice and elevate as much as possible but I do have to run out at least one a day to help pick the kids up from school. Keeping my leg down for 1 hour in the car definitely makes it ache later. If I do too much in the kitchen making the kids dinner or getting snacks my foot swells. I try not to get up too much but those few hours while I wait for the hubby to get home is when they are most hungry  :P

I want to work on my ROM and try more exercises at home but my knee feels so tight. I'm not sure if this is from swelling or just the surgery. Not sure if I can try heat yet (anyone know?) either.

Last week I would have said never again but now that the horrible pain seems to be gone I can see getting the L knee done in another year or so. Of course I want to test this knee out once it's fully recovered. Not sure if I want to run any 1/2 marathons on it though. Might stick to Triathlons or swimming/tri relays. I'm better at swimming anyway  ;)
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 02:40:01 AM »
Still Post-op Day 14... had to go to a meeting this afternoon. As we got there my foot and toes went numb. Kept leg elevated but after a few hours my foot and toes were still numb. I started to worry about a blood clot so I called my OS office before they closed for the weekend. PA said it was probably just nerve damage from surgery since I didn't have any calf pain. I have since had feeling return to my foot and toes so I'm not too worried now.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 11:54:29 AM »
Thanks Jess

Have been reading your diary with interest as I am having my surgery on 22nd (what a lovely birthday present for me! ;) )

Getting slightly worried now - what I think I am most worried about is trying to bend it after and being paranoid that it's going to dislocate again just by bending it!

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 04:47:44 PM »
Did they give you a cpm machine to help with your ROM?  If not, and you are still at home, it might be nice to rent one (especially if insurance will pick up tab).  It will move your leg for you (which helps alleviate the guarding we tend to do when activating our own sore muscles) and give you a greater range of motion.  Using a stationary bike will help too, but I don't know what your pt schedule looks like.

Glad it wasn't a blood clot :)  Just keep telling yourself things are getting better, because they are ;) (albeit it sometimes is 2 steps forward one step back).  Have a great weekend!

God Bless,

Misty

'95 -knee injury
...awaiting ACI