Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Residue MCL Pain  (Read 5510 times)

Offline twill1989

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Residue MCL Pain
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:55:04 AM »
Hey everyone,

About three weeks ago I injured my right knee. I was standing up off the ground and someone ran into me as I was doing so. My knee bowed out and I felt something like a popping sensation and warmth but no real pain at the time. It was the end of the day so I just went home and laid on the couch the rest of the day and didn't think too much about it. The next day my knee was swollen and it hurt to walk. I continued on throughout my day as best I could and told myself I'd go to the doctor in the morning if it wasn't better. The next day it was stiff in the morning but the swelling wasn't as bad and the pain was much more tolerable so I didnt go to the doctor as I had planned. That night, though, after being on my feet all day, the pain and the swelling were just as bad. I went to the ER and the doc did xrays and various maneuvers with the knee, and said I most likely had a moderate MCL sprain or a slight tear and possibly meniscus damage. Since my job requires a lot of walking and I was still in a lot of pain, he put me on crutches for a week along with a ace wrap and said just to take it easy for a week and I'd be okay.

The week went by and while the swelling had gone down, the knee was still painful, especially first thing in the morning and at the end of the day. It also hurt to crouch or bend or put the knee to the floor any. I went to an orthopedic afterwards and she agreed with the ER doc's diagnosis but was livid about the treatment he prescribed. She put me in a brace for six weeks and wants me to start doing physical therapy soon. It's right about week three now. The pain isn't anywhere near as bad as it was originally when it hurt constantly but it still gets sore after walking long distances. 

I was off work the past couple days, and yesterday I thought it would be okay to go without the brace as I was just hanging around the house and watching movies. I normally sit with my right leg bent under my left thigh. I wasn't thinking about it and just sat down as I normally would since I wasn't wearing the brace. I regretted it immediately. There was a intense, sharp pain right along the MCL as soon as I sat down. The pain subsided after a few minutes once I straightened out my leg but I was sore the rest of the day.

I was wondering how long it takes for the MCL pain to fully go away, if it ever even does. A buddy of mine had a complete tear a few years back and he still has pain from time to time. I play soccer in the late summer and fall so its not an issue now but I was curious if this is going to be an issue still when I play.