Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: left knee hurting again 9 days after surgery  (Read 665 times)

Offline tcp56

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
left knee hurting again 9 days after surgery
« on: March 21, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »
hi i had knee surgery on the 12 of this month at first 2nd one in 8 months it felt so much better, now not so good i had lateral meniscus tear with alot of fuz through out the knee that had to be cut out my knee is still swollen its been 9 days i am still icing it and staying off of it as much as possible as it is very painful  am i expecting to much to soon?   the old familiar pain is back with some more and my Dr. is already trying to say that the pain is coming from my back which my back is fine or as good as its going to get, i have had my back problems for five + yrs  the first time as i was waiting for my first appointment there was a man rubbing his knee i ask him if he had to have knee surgery he said no he had  it and then said the dr was saying  his back is causing his knee too that is what is its he was told the same thing first and 2 time after surgery  anyway i have a grinding or scraping in my knee now and have pain in the inner right side upper area and a pulling under cap also when i walk my knee is catching and then it does a snap  that is painful anyone out there have any suggestions you have to have a dr that is willing to listen to you before you can get something done   :( :'(       
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:04:43 PM by tcp56, Reason: mmmmm »

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
Re: left knee hurting again 9 days after surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 11:06:13 AM »
I would say, yes, you are expecting far too much far too soon.  9 days after surgery is nothing.  The incisions in the knee maybe small (and perhaps even still have stitches in the them), but the knee has been cut, filled with fluid, instruments poked in, things cut and scraped - it is pretty traumatic for that joint!  Are you also taking anti-inflammatories to help with the pain and swelling. 

Also, I assume you are doing gentle exercises - ankle pumps, heel slides, quad contractions and leg raises (a few at a time, icing afterwards) - these help the knee to recover, the swelling to go, regain range of motion and stop the muscles wasting

I had a lateral menisectomy in Feb 2010 and at 9 days, I was still using crutches (indeed on and off for a month), icing, exercising, elevating (this is also key, above the heart and don't support the leg under the knoee, only the ankle /calf).  I did not drive nor go back to work for 3 weeks

A lot of the pain and pulling will be coming from the trauma to the joint and swelling.  Are you seeing a physiotherapist - perhaps they can advise?

What is fuz??

Certainly back pain and especially sciatica can cause discomfort down the back of your leg

Have you been doing physio for your back, have you addressed your posture, optimised your mattress and pillows etc?

Take it easy, do as you have been told and rest up :)

Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline tcp56

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 02:03:52 PM »
i have a hd tempur pedic i fell about 5 yrs ago and broke my back so i have screws bolts plates and cage a Herniated Disc at the L4 and nerve encroachment on the right side( this is only in my knee) i fill pain not like nerve pain at all  and grinding  its defintley not nerve as have have nerve pain on the other side   its just pain within the knee itself i hope your right i am at my witts end  the fuss you can see alittle of it as it is going through the rip    there are other pictures i have that looks like white bulging stuff in between the upper and lower part of the white cartliage  he didnt want to give me a script for  physiotherapist but i ask he didnt feel i needed it as it was like that with the first surgery too i didnt do any on firs surgeryt i will this one to see if it will make a difference  i dont do anything for the back took many injections and was told i need another back surgery but will never let anyone ever do that again  i will be going in for a spinal cord stimulator when knee is stable and i know its ok and i will not fall and at this point its not stable because of the catch that has developed in it and also the grinding that i didnt have before thanks for your input my husband say that this and the frirst is a nothing surgery and that i should be able to get up and walk away with no problems oh well hasnt been  this surgery i have had alot of swelling and alot more pain and no pain pill or anti flammatory hashelp at all sleeping is horrible because of the knee cant l\lay on side pain with in mins well thanks for listening me whine           

Offline kimb

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 04:13:29 PM »
anytime something in your body is unable to be aligned correctly, whether due to injury, genetics, or whatever, it can impact the rest of things. It is certainly possible the problems with your back are causing problems in your knees. But that doesn't mean the problems with the knees shouldn't be dealt with of course. 9 days is really early even for a very basic surgery. I had surgery to remove a loose body and to trim torn cartilage. It took about 5-6 weeks for the knee to be back to normal as far as swelling went. The pain was mostly gone by about 3 weeks. I'm 8 weeks post surgery now and it's mostly back to normal, though when I am on it long periods it still gets sore and swollen, which is still normal. 9 days is very early in the process. Even though it doesn't look like much on the surface, when they have to go poking around in there it bruises and traumatizes tissues and capillaries. It takes a long time for that to heal completely.

Offline tcp56

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 08:20:05 PM »
ok thanks i will go to the physical therapy as if they see some problem it will make it easy to have them back me up   :-\