Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Calf Musle stiffness after sprain. (+ impending mpfl recon)  (Read 663 times)

Offline Kat90

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Calf Musle stiffness after sprain. (+ impending mpfl recon)
« on: March 21, 2013, 01:43:12 AM »
I made a post a few weeks ago about subluxing and spraining my knee and if this would effect my mpfl reconstruction on the 28th of this month.

I understand that three weeks is not sufficient time to heal a sprained knee. But still i need some advice.

I only have a small amount of pain in my knee when i straighten it fully,  i am not to concerned about this. But i am having some big issues with my calf muscle, it is stiff and it feels like its being stretched to the point of pain every time i take a step, causing me to walk with a limp. I do have most of the strength back in my leg, it just feels really constricted.
When my knee is bent its fine, and i have experienced some shortening before, but this doesn't feel the same.

Doe anyone have any tips on getting my muscle to loosen up and relax?

Thanks for the help
2005-2013- countless events of patella subluxion/ dislocation, sprain (L knee).
23/4/13- MPFL recon + surprise medial meniscectomy (L knee) and the discovery of a partial acl tear.
11/15 -Grade 3 ACL tear...damn
13/01/2016- ACL reconstruction (patella tendon)
-keeping physios in business since 2005-

Offline kimb

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
Re: Calf Musle stiffness after sprain. (+ impending mpfl recon)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 03:05:07 AM »
Get a foam roller and use that. They work wonders. You should be able to find one in the fitness department at any store like Target or Walmart, or at a sporting goods store.  In the US they run about $15-20. If you aren't sure how to do it, I'd google search it, it's kind of hard to describe in words. They are amazing tools for recovery from surgery as well.

support