Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Microfracture Knee Surgery  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Billf

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Microfracture Knee Surgery
« on: March 19, 2013, 07:40:57 PM »
I had microfracture two years ago on my left knee.  I'm still having issues.  I was considering a new surgery called sub-chondroplasty???  Wondering if anyone had this or knew anything about it????

Bill

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Microfracture Knee Surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 07:49:09 PM »
Bill, I had a microfracture on my lateral femoral condyle on 9/9/2011 and a year later I continued to have issues as well.  On 10/31/2012 I had chondroplasty.  The bone scans and MRI's did not show any issues but when my OS went in he found a cartilage flap which he removed.  Now my knee is just fine.

Best of luck!
1976 Arthoscopy, damaged cartilage
2007 Lateral release of the patella
2011 Meniscectomy and microfracture (grade 4)
2012 Debridement / Chondroplasty
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 373
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:59:08 PM »
There's a short thread about it here

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=58680.0

If you pop subchondroplasty in the search box ^^^ you'll get a few more results

Sounds new and experimental, best talk to your surgeon and sounds pretty different to a 'chondroplasty' which is a tidy up of the cartilage and with abrasion chondroplasty a stimulation of the bone surface to encourage fibrocartilage development (a bit like mfx)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 08:01:31 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 05:26:49 AM »
Hope you feel better. From my experiences here's what I can tell you. Chondroplasty is where they clean up the loose bits and shave the frayed surface of the articular cartilage so that it's nice and neat. Microfracture is where they drill or hammer into the articular cartilage itself where the defect is to get the bone underneath to bleed and a clot to form where the defect is, so that "fibrocartilage" will form in place of the blood clot over time, and thus fill in the defect in the articular cartilage. This is not a slow process. Mine took 18 months to fill in, which is on the very long side. I was completely non-weightbearing for 2 months, and 2 more months to wean off crutches, as my defect was 1.2 cm in a weight bearing zone of my medial femoral condyle, and after 6 months, it still had not healed, thus the procedure had been considered a failure, as "normal" healing time is typically about that.

This was just my personal experience... Note that this was my 6th knee surgery and the articular cartilage damage was due to traumatic injury, and I'd walked on it for 3 months prior to the surgery that discovered it and the microfracture being done on it. Also of note... the defect did not show on pre surgery mri... .which is why I walked on it for 3 mos.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Wildcatmatt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 01:24:48 PM »
Hi Bill,
I too had an unsuccessful Micro-fracture.  Mine was in 7/11.  It was for a large medial femoral lesion.  I was still having pain and the "crunchies" 5 months later so, I had scar tissue removed and a synovectomy done in 1/12.  This was the soonest my young OS had been back in a micro fracture patient, so he was interested to put eyes on the lesion.  He found very minimal tissue growth and deemed the micro fracture unsuccessful. 

Fast foward a year and the pain had continued and scar tissue had to be removed again.  This time however, the lesion had almost completely filled in which was very surprising since I don't think that there is supposed to be much tissue growth beyond 6 months after micro fracture.  The problem was that the tissue was soft, flaky non supportive. 

I ended up getting an osteochondral allograft put in it a week ago today after waiting almost a year for a match, so hopefully that will find me the pain relief I'm looking for!

Good luck with your next steps!
Wildcatmatt 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:28:49 PM by Wildcatmatt »