Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: easier?  (Read 519 times)

Offline eddie760

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
easier?
« on: March 20, 2013, 04:55:42 AM »
hi everyone

I was wondering wouldn't it be easier to replace a fractured patella with a fake patella. Just seems to me that it would be easier so that you only have to wait for the cut/incision to heal and not have much muscle atrophy. Just my thoughts.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: easier?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 05:41:46 AM »
Not necessarily. Use simple logic... think about it, you'd have to transfer the connections from the patella to the plastic one, and those would have to be wired/pinned or what have you, and those connections would be in no way the same as the way they are when connected to the bone. If one's patella was shattered into multiple pieces and couldn't be set/wired/repaired, then I could see replacing it, but if it's a simpler fracture of 1-3 pieces etc that can be repaired, then you're better off with your own bits.

With everything I've been dealing with with my issues over the years, and listening to what others deal with, I keep hearing that you're better off keeping your own bits as long as you can, if they're reasonably serviceable. One never knows when there will be a breakthrough in technology that will let them do something remarkable like grow parts, or come up with more biocompatible components that last longer, etc.... so the longer you can put off having an artificial component inserted, the better off you are.

There are lots of factors to consider, age, health, quality of life, pain levels, insurance coverage, etc. It's a highly individual thing,  so you have to talk to your doctor and make that call, no one can do it for you.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 04:35:04 PM »
additionally - when they do a "patella replacement" it's just the surface of the patella that get's replaced - where the cartilage has worn out. Not the entire bone so to speak. I've never heard of an entire patella "transplant" like you suggest.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 04:50:15 PM »
I heard they will replace the whole patella with a plastic one but they don't like to do because the plastic can stick. This was told to me when I went in for my first TKA. I don't know if this is only when plastic rubs against metal or if this could also happen if you still have your own natural knee too.