Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can someone help me translate my MRI report?  (Read 808 times)

Offline Tishia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Can someone help me translate my MRI report?
« on: March 19, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »
There appers to be increased T2 signal throughout the anterior cruciate ligament which may be related to degenerative myxoid changes. Findings related to partial injury may also be considered. There is no complete disruption of the ACL. The posterior cruciate ligament, collteral ligments, and extensor mechanism of the knee are intact. Degenerative myxoid changes are noted throughout the medial and lateral menisci. No definitive supeeimposed meniscal tear is identified. Mild to moderte tricompartmental osteoarthritic degenertive changes are noted with evidence for articular cartlilage irregulariy/fissuring, subchondral edema, and osteophytosis. These findings are advanced for patient's age. No significant joint effusion is seen. Otherwise no significant focal abnormal bone marrow signal is identified. Note is made of lateral positioning of patella wth respect to the trochlea within the patellofemorella compartment. There also appears to be focal prominence along the lateral aspect of the trochle as well as a slightly shallow trochle. These findings suggest chanes of trochlea dysplasia secondry to congenital variation. These findings can predispose to advanced oateoarthitis of th knee and can also predispose to patllofemoral dislocations. Mild edem is noted within the soft tissuessurrounding the knee which is likley reactive in nature. No abnormal focal fluid collections are identified.

Im waiting on my ortho appointment but just cant get rid of the nagging urge to know...

Offline kimb

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
Re: Can someone help me translate my MRI report?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 11:40:35 PM »
Just what I see, I'm not a doctor or a radiologist, obviously getting the full answer from the doctor is the best way to go.

A "signal" on an MRI can indicate abnormality. Even though your ACL is not torn completely, it seems something is on the MRI that indicates a possible degenerative (breakdown of tissues that happens over time due to wear and tear as opposed to a traumatic injury) problem, possibly it has a slight tear or is stretched out a bit. No way to know what it means without them saying, just that the MRI say something.

Some possible degenerative meniscii, which are the discs of cartilage between your upper and lower leg bones that help cushion the bones from banging together.

Degenerative changes to the cartilage/osteoarthritis. Articular cartilage is the smooth coating on the ends of bones that allow them to slide along other structures without causing friction. When this coating starts to wear out, it exposes the bone underneath, and then that exposed bone rubs and causes pain. That's osteoarthritis. It sounds like possible irregularities in the cartilage might be the cause of the wearing and that it is something not typically seen in someone your age.

No joint effusion means no fluid in the knee joint that contributes to swelling.

Lateral positioning of the patella means your kneecap is not centered in the groove (trochlea) that is slides in when you bend your knee. It's a bit to the outside of center (towards the outside of your body). The groove is also shallow. Both of those things indicate a possible risk for osteoarthritis in that area because the kneecap might not track normally as well as a possible increased risk for dislocating or partially dislocating (subluxing) of the kneecap, where the kneecap comes entirely, or partially out of the groove.

This is just based on information I've read since I hurt my own knee and looked up my MRI stuff and asked a lot of questions. Like I said I in no way am a professional nor should you base any medical decisions on anything I said, lol. What all they can, or could consider to help you out with any of the issues, I cannot say. It depends a lot on your age, your activity level and other such things.