Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fat derived stem cell therapy for lack of cartilage/chondromalacia patella  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Vero cayman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
My surgeon mentioned this brand new technology where They basically give you a micro lipo suction (ladies will love that !), then separate the plain fat from the good valuable cells and after a few hours in a centrifuge, the cells are re injected in your body via an IV, to recreate some cartilage where you are lacking it. Also used in other auto immune diseases, heart conditions, etc. Have you knee gurus heard about it/had it and what are your thoughts on it ? It is a brand new technology created by experts in Israel (after all, they are the top scientists there and many good things have come from Israel in relation to medical), and apparently has great success, while being safe because it is only using your own cells, so no risk of reject. Looking forward to read you all as I really would consider it instead of a painful, maybe unsuccessful micro fracture surgery.
Fell right on knee cap in 1991-1992.
2012 diagnosis of patellar mal-tracking in both knees. Partly genetic.
2012 diagnosis of chondromalacia patella grade IV in right leg
6th of February 2013, TTT Fulkerson surgery and LR, right leg

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
This type of thing has been discussed before, e.g.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=58296.0

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=53307.0

Sounds like mumbo jumbo to me but then I am a non-scientific minded sceptic (and I seem to be able to build fibrocartilage without microfracture, although PRP didn't work for a damaged tendon)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Vero cayman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
hi Vickster
thanks for the reply ! I read all the links you mention, but think what my surgeon is suggesting is different. It doesnt use bone marrow, umbilical cord or cadavers, and is not reinjected through a shot in the knee but though perfusion, only a few hours later. Something like this :

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/canadian-clinic-first-in-country-to-harvest-stem-cells-derived-from-body-fat-1.1097835

also I dont think this new technology was available back in 2010 or 2011 (looking at some posts' dates).
It is called autologous  stem cells. In any case, I am like you and not a science expert at all, only hoping this could cure many suffering people out there. In any case, thank you for taking the time to reserach those links for me, and respond to my post :). truly appreciated !
Fell right on knee cap in 1991-1992.
2012 diagnosis of patellar mal-tracking in both knees. Partly genetic.
2012 diagnosis of chondromalacia patella grade IV in right leg
6th of February 2013, TTT Fulkerson surgery and LR, right leg