Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ever wondered why it had to happen to you?  (Read 4471 times)

Offline acecl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ever wondered why it had to happen to you?
« on: March 18, 2013, 09:07:30 AM »
I have and don't know why it had to happen or what good would really come out of all this.

Tore my ACL doing sports and am in post-op rehab now. Lately all I keep thinking about are all the lost opporunities to compete. I've missed so much that all my teammates have medals to their name, cept for me. Disappointing, reallly.

It'd be nice if you could share your view on your injuries/conditions etc and if you've found a positive side/take., or not.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:51:08 AM by acecl »
Oct '12 - Complete ACL Rupture / Partial MCL
NYE '12 - ACL Recon 
Jan '13 - No crutches
March '13 - >130 ROM

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: Ever wondered why it had to happen to you?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 02:38:58 PM »
I have had a few thoughts on the how and why throughout my injuries/recovery… the main one being: it doesn’t matter why; all that matters at this point is that it did. Looking back and wondering why me, only breeds thoughts of regret and what if. You can’t change what happened – as great as medical science is; things still tear, need to be repaired, rehabbed, and may never be quite the same.

My advice. Look forward not back. Work as hard on your rehab as you would training for whatever sport you play. It may not be the shiny medals that your teammates won – but it is a personal goal and accomplishment none the less. Working hard to get back on whatever your field of play – will be more satisfying than any medal. That accomplishment will likely mean more to you years down the road than any medal.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 05:31:35 PM »
Whenever something bad happens ask "Why not me?" Whenever anything good happens then ask "Why me?"

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 02:12:02 PM »
I know watching your team mates get opportunities that you have to miss out on can be tough.  I'm in high school and haven't been able to do what I love (which is run) for over 2 years now.  I constantly asked why this was happening to me. Well I soon realized that my new sport was rehabbing.  Your dr's and pt's are your team mates.  I do believe things happen for a reason and maybe this happened to remind you of how lucky you are, or how truly strong you are.  Think of all of the good coming out of this, not the bad.  Hang in there
TTO, LR, arthoscopy, medial tightening R leg -03/'13
Hardware Removal- 9/'13
TTO, LR, athroscopy, medial tightening L leg- 10/'13
VMO advancement, LR, trochleoplasty

Offline acecl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 03:53:56 PM »
Thanks all for sharing, and for advice/encouragement.

Not sure if it would make a difference but what if the question was simply: ever wondered why it had to happen?

I, personally, am coming from a place not really of 'why me?' rather just 'why?'.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:41:26 PM by acecl »
NYE '12 - ACL Recon 
Jan '13 - No crutches
March '13 - >130 ROM

Offline huntingandmoon

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 04:47:05 PM »
Hi Acecl,

I understand what you're saying/feeling.  My experience was different from yours' but the feeling is the same.  I've thought a great deal about what has happened to me at the hands of a surgeon.  This is what I think:  we're grieving for the life we had.  We try to be positive, work hard at PT etc but in the end we're suffering a loss.  We see those around us doing the things we used to do, now we're limited, we've missed out on so much and wondering if we'll ever be able to fully join in again.  My hope is that with time and being kind to ourselves we'll heal and be able to get on with life the best way we can...

Take care ~~

Diana

Offline acecl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 03:40:31 PM »
Hi Diana

I feel pretty much the exact, same way!
Like the abundance of opportunities that seem (to me) to probably never be available again, the feeling of being in square 1 (or rather square 0 since as still in PT), not being able to do what we used to/love. Doesn't help that the people I played the sport I so love alongside seemed to have left me behind. But oh well. I do hope you'll be back to where you were before/want to be soon.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:44:30 PM by acecl »
NYE '12 - ACL Recon 
Jan '13 - No crutches
March '13 - >130 ROM

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 03:58:10 PM »
I hear what you are saying on the simplicity of “why did it happen” vs the “why me” thought process. With some of our injuries, doctor’s (or common sense) can answer this for us. Either it’s our anatomy, a decision/accident gone very wrong… but a lot of times: Stuff just plain out happens. Some of the top athletes in the world go through ACL tears/recons and you’d think their conditioning would be able to prevent something like that. Well, stuff happens. 

Like the abundance of opportunities that seem (to me) to probably never be available again, the feeling of being in square 1 (or rather square 0 since as still in PT), not being able to do what we used to/love.
I don’t know much about your injury history, but I wouldn’t relegate yourself to this just yet. Many people & athletes make full recoveries from ACL tears and go on to lead lives with no limitations. In the short term it’s hard and frustrating (especially when your friends leave you behind rather than support you) But try to stay positive and work hard to reach your goals.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline acecl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 08:36:44 AM »
Hi Allyd

It isn't reallly the injury I meant preventing my return but really because there isn't more time/chances. I'll be off to a foreign university and the odds of finding a team to play there for is looking kinda slim. I probably won't return home till I'm in my late 20s and well, it's not the best of ages to restart competitive sport.
I know it's too early to really say anything but I do fear my ACL tear may have forced a premature end of my participation in floorball, anyway.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 04:12:39 PM by acecl »
NYE '12 - ACL Recon 
Jan '13 - No crutches
March '13 - >130 ROM

Offline KinnaMarie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 01:13:31 AM »
I have my moments of regrets and moments of wondering why, but in the end I think to myself that I am coming out a much stronger person.  Numerous people tell me they couldn't do and deal with what I am going through and still have a smile on my face, but like I always say I choose to be happy (and simply not think about what I am missing out on and what I have been through.)  I too am in my early 20s and have had 5 surgeries on my knee in the past 2 years from a sports injury.  Yes, I have my breaking points and cry, but then I think things could have been much worse.  I am thankful for a supportive family and amazing doctor and staff that have done so much for me.  Just remember we choose to be happy, and you do anything you put your mind too.  Hopefully you are in PT which will get you stronger and ready to get back into sports! :)     

Offline acecl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 01:50:35 PM »
I do always try to think about that, KinnaMarie, that it's not the worst it could be.
NYE '12 - ACL Recon 
Jan '13 - No crutches
March '13 - >130 ROM