Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Heel slides difficulty  (Read 638 times)

Offline Peter

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Heel slides difficulty
« on: March 17, 2013, 08:16:50 PM »
I have not seen this discussed anywhere but I am 4 weeks post injury from a knee subluxation and have not notice any problems at any other time during my rehab.

Anyways, whenever I do heel slides, my kneecap seems to jump up during bend and when i straighten it again it will slide or drop back into regular position.  I have quite a bit of ROM when I am walking normally but I'm finding it difficulty to continue to do heel slides or increase my ROM based on this issue.  My PT even taped my knee this past visit to keep it more stable for this exercise.  It doesn't cause me any pain or discomfort when done, just concern because I don't know if I am causing damage everytime this happens and I know it isn't how a knee should operate normally.

Thanks in advance for any advice people can provide.

Offline greatfulgann

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: Heel slides difficulty
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 08:23:37 PM »
My knee does this and it has damage to the back.  Did you sustain any damage when you had your subluxation?

Offline Peter

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 04:53:41 AM »
I don't believe I did anything major besides some slight tearing and have a few bits of bone chips on the medial side. 

I do notice that the patella is very loose in general, so much so that at the moment when i move my leg laterally, I tighten my quad muscle to keep it more stable and in place.  The joint is quite unpredictable at the moment. 

Could this just be due to a ton of swelling or any tips I can do to make this more stable quicker?  I can walk on the knee with little difficulty but do have my knee in a tensor bandage when I got out of the house due to the unpredictability.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 12:52:08 PM »
Did you have form of scan when you had your subluxation? Your kneecap may be "loose" due to muscle weakness or you have damage to a ligament that holds the kneecap in the right place. Sometimes when the kneecap subluxes laterally there is stretching to the medial patellofemoral ligament. (MPFL). Are you having proper physio? Can you ask them for advice?
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline kimb

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 04:53:17 PM »
I dislocated my kneecap in December. 5 weeks later I had surgery and the swelling still had not completely gone down from the injury at that point. Swelling contributes quite a lot to feelings of instability. Also, you lose muscle mass very quickly when you cannot walk on the leg normally. My injured leg is about 2 inches smaller around than my noninjured still. I am 7 weeks post-op and on no restrictions. My swelling is gone and I am doing normal workouts, but just now is the knee starting to feel more stable with less popping out of the kneecap. It takes a long time to build up muscle that is lost in only 2 weeks of irregular use. It is still a bit loose though, it moves more when I move it (the kneecap) with my hands than the other one does, and when I go down stairs or have a step that is unbalanced (like walking on ice or snow) the kneecap still slides out. I have a follow up today to see if we are going to keep working on rehabbing it or what.

Just know it takes time. In my case, when I dislocated, I tore a piece of cartilage from under the kneecap, and a piece of the articular cartilage as well. So I still have the pain of dealing with that, however if my rehab succeeds in pulling the kneecap over more, the kneecap will no longer hit the area that is damaged and the pain should decrease. Best of luck to you. Keep at the exercises, they will improve with time. But if you have swelling, you can expect to have the knee feel unstable, and until you start building up muscle again, the kneecap might not work correctly.