Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: upcoming bilateral arthroscopies  (Read 602 times)

Offline neeseymaye

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
upcoming bilateral arthroscopies
« on: March 14, 2013, 01:17:46 AM »

I have a bilateral knee arthroscopy scheduled on Monday and I would really like some advice concerning this upcoming surgery.  I have a tear in my left medial meniscus and torn articular cartilage in my left knee. I know that I am having a menisectomy in my left knee and a debridement of cartilage.  My right knee usd to feel fine but I now feel that it is worse that my left knee.  My knees are both swollen and feel very heavy.  Every time I make a step, I wince as it is so painful.  It is tough for me to bend my knees because of the swelling.  I am a nurse in a recovery room so I am on my feet so much.  I attempt to sit down every chance I get and I have resorted to using knee braces because they do make me feel so much more secure.  I am only 50 years old but I feel like an old woman and I am getting depressed by all of this.  I know I have some arthritis in my knees also.  I have had two stroid injections into the left knee and I have been on voltaren for the last 6 months twice a day. I do elevate and ice as soon as I get home but my house is a mess and my husband has been doing so many of my responsibilities.  He is sweet about it though.  Whenever I get out of a chair and start walking, it takes much effort!!  Can I get some advice on what to expect after this surgery?   Thank so much!!

Offline DebbieCJ

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 11
Re: upcoming bilateral arthroscopies
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 02:33:59 PM »
Hi there,
You issues sound awful - you have my sympathy!
I have had a bilateral arthroscopy twice - once in April 2008 for a general clean out and again in Sept 2012, for a clean out of my right knee and a biopsy of the cartilage in my left knee - I have a MACI operation scheduled for tomorrow!
After the second time, I had a week off work, then worked at home for a week, and was able to drive a manual car after two weeks. Immediately after the surgery, I found the wading and bandages they put on in the hospital very uncomfortable- they were thick and heavy and painful when trying to walk with crutches. As soon as I got home (was in overnight) I replaced them with large waterproof plasters which were much better. For the first couple of days, bending my knees was difficult - they were very swollen and I iced them regularly. I managed to do the gentle exercises given to me by the physio - it was important to take the painkillers and copmplete the exercise schedule as pain and movement were much improved after the first week.
Stairs were tricky, but the physio in the hospital showed me various techniques and it would be well worth asking to see the physio before you have the surgery.
Also getting on and off the loo is a challenge to start with - if you have someone at home who can help with this then use them!

Good luck with the surgery!

Debbie
2008 steroid injections, Bilateral arthroscopy
2012 bilateral arthroscopy, cartilage biopsy
2013 MACI (patella), Fulkerson and lateral release march 15th

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 03:34:35 PM »
neeseymaye -  Sounds horrible!  I do understand as I feel like a penguin the way I waddle/hobble around, lol.  But to be on your feet all day in that pain, wow.  I hope your surgeries resolve the problems and you have quick and perfect healing  :)

DebbieCJ - Please keep a diary of your MACI.  I am awaiting an insurance snag (insurance won't pay what Genzyme wants...grrr) for mine, and my right knee (used to be the good knee) is now giving me such issues I think I will need to get it scoped and cleaned up (preferably at same time as MACI; already had 2 surgeries on l. knee in 3 months, don't need 4 when I can have just 3 (surgeries)).

Good luck with the surgery tomorrow!  You staying over night?

God Bless and heal our knees!!

misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI

Offline neeseymaye

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:25:54 PM »
Thanks Debbie and Misty for your advice.  And Debbie, I trust all went well with your surgery.  My surgery is tomorrow and I am actually looking forward to it.  I really need to see what is going on and some time off my feet.                     God Bless..Neeseymaye

support