Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PCL and Medial Collateral  (Read 402 times)

Offline TeaUK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PCL and Medial Collateral
« on: March 13, 2013, 02:35:20 PM »
Good afternoon all.

I am new to this and like everyone else new, have a good reason to be asking the question.

Please note, I don't know too much about the terms and if I am stating the right information, but hopefully there is enough to go on.

History:
In 2005 my PCL and MCT were ruptured from a tackle during a football game.
It took 18 months on the NHS waiting list to get the operation, due to the complexity of the injury.
The operation in 2006 used a doner for the MCT and the PCL was bolted back to the knee.

In 2009 I ran the London Marathon, but experienced real problems with achellies tendon of the right leg, so much so that I just about managed to finish the race.  Still, it may have been unrelated.

In 2011, I heard a tear noise in my knee during a football game, but at the time I was only running - there was no twisting etc.

In 2012, I had a arthroscopy operation to see what the issue might be.  The result was the knee was in very good condition and the load bearing walls were excellent (what ever that means). However, the ligaments had become lax and surgery was required.

I was told I could not play football again and was asked what do I prefer, twisting or running...again, I am not sure what that means.

Unfortunately, the original notes from 2006 had been lost, so a proper diagnosis to aid surgery could not be made.  I was just advised that the bolts would have to be unscrewed and rescrewed.  Also, hamstring from my other leg would have to be used if I accepted another operation.  Or I could just leave it and accept I will not be able to be active in the way I had hoped.

Also, my knee seems more painful than it was before the original surgery over 6 months ago.  I am not sure why or indeed if this is muscle deterioration etc.

Of course, I want to get back to full health and play sport like football and golf to a reasonable standard.

Any help would be fantastic and ideally could I be advised on the most experienced/innovative surgeons to work on fixing this type of injury? Steps to take too?

I would have thought technology and medicine have progressed since 2006 and improved options would be available, but didn't really feel I was given all of the options during the pre-op consultation.  Am I right to question this, or maybe I should just accept the surgeon is correct in their diagnosis?

For reference, I am closing in on 39, don't smoke or drink and am otherwise healthy.

Kind regards,

Mark.