Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ozzie's 2 Patella and Fulkerson ACI surgeries-both legs!  (Read 29834 times)

Offline runnerdev

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: Ozzie's 2 Patella and Fulkerson ACI surgeries-both legs!
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2014, 05:28:12 AM »
Hey Ozzie!

Glad to hear recovery is going well and that you had a great vacation!
9/2005 - TTT
6/21/2013 - debridement & lateral release
11/13/2013 - arthroscopic & cartilage biopsy for ACI
12/31/2013 - ACI procedure

Offline ozzie

• Regular Poster
  • ACI & Fulkerson 6/25/13, ACI & Fulkerson 12/26/13
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2015, 02:41:37 AM »
I am updating my post surgery diary-nearly a two years from my right knee ACI/osteotomy and one and a half since the same surgeries on my left knee. I may be able to try some running by end of June.  The surgeon had wanted me to wait 1 1/2 years post op from last surgery and physical therapist wants me to have complete strength in glutes and quads. I have had some stomach issues ( this is a chronic thing for me ) that have prevented me from exercising as consistently as I should. I believe if I had been able to keep up the exercising (PT exercises and regular workouts on elliptical, etc) I would have not had any weakness, but I still am not completely strong enough.  I do not have pain in my knees and I feel the surgery is a success.  I do get slight swelling and soreness when doing certain exercises that my physical therapist ordered, ie " sit to stand" and others that involve balancing on one leg and lowering oneself and then raising back up.  Sometimes I take an anti inflammatory to prevent soreness.  I recommend to anyone with this surgery to be aware that you may lose some strength due to being non weight bearing for a time, and to commit to consistent exercise to regain it back.  Of course, I had both knees, which is unusual and a little more challenging. I had a couple health issues that affected my energy and ability to do exercise as consistently as I would have liked-but I am just about there!  😄
ACI patella and trochlea & Fulkerson on Dec. 26, 2013-Dr. Scott Gillogly
ACI patella surgery and Fulkerson with Dr. Gillogly June 25, 2013
Extensive cartilage damage in both knees due to misalignment of patellas

Offline willrunagain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 55
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2015, 03:51:24 PM »
Hi Ozzie,

It is good to see that you have had not one, but two successful patella ACIs!  I am currently awaiting insurance approval for Cartiform on my patella defect.  It is a newer procedure, but it seems to achieve the same result as ACI and denovo with a supposedly more organized cartilage formation.  My ultimate goal is eventually get back to some moderate distance running.  I am accepting the fact that I'll probably never be running sub 3 hour marathons again, but I enjoy running so darn much I hate to call it quits at 26.

Good luck with your continued recovery and please update on how the running goes in June!

Offline rbutz1165

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2015, 10:32:03 AM »
Hello Ozzie, my son is 10 months post op from aci surgery on his knee. All has gone well until recently he started a new job as mail carrier. Started getting stuff and a bit swollen. Have u had an mri after surgery or stiffness or swolleness?

Offline ozzie

• Regular Poster
  • ACI & Fulkerson 6/25/13, ACI & Fulkerson 12/26/13
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2015, 09:52:04 PM »
Hi. I'm sorry I did not respond until now. My doctor said that he thinks MRI's are
inconclusive and unnecessary , so I have not had any post op .  I do wonder about it because
I believe that cartilage does not show up on X-ray, but it does on MRI . He seemed confident about
It and also I am wary of undergoing too much radiation. Still, I
May ask about it again at some point. I still see him every 3 months for follow up.

I have had some swelling-after  exercising in particular. It
Is less and less with time. I have ice packs that I use after
walking a lot and exercise. I just did a trip where I biked 3-4
hours a day for a week, and I iced my knees each evening. Maybe
If your son is walking his mail route, it would be nice if he could use
Ice packs. I do take NSAIDs (allege-Naproxen) still as needed.
I think the swelling is normal, but if he has any concerns he should
ask the doctor and physical therapist....
Good luck to your son!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:59:36 PM by ozzie »
ACI patella and trochlea & Fulkerson on Dec. 26, 2013-Dr. Scott Gillogly
ACI patella surgery and Fulkerson with Dr. Gillogly June 25, 2013
Extensive cartilage damage in both knees due to misalignment of patellas