Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Upcoming MPFL Reconstruction  (Read 554 times)

Offline kimber71346

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Upcoming MPFL Reconstruction
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:06:41 PM »
I am due to have a MPFL Reconstruction and scope on March 22nd. Unlike others on this site, I haven't had any major dislocations of the patella. Over the years I guess I've had gradual slipping to the point where it is now causing me problems that interfer with my day to day activities. I am the mother of two little girls ages 5 and 3, and lead a very active lifestyle for the most part. Due to this injury, I haven't been able to run in over two years, and have a hard time going up stairs and squatting. I had a lateral release almost two years ago on the same knee, and my ortho now says that this surgery would help with the slipping of my patella.

He told me that I would be in a brace for three weeks and on crutches pwb for six weeks. Can anyone out there tell me what the pain and recovery time are like. I know that everyone is different, but I'm just kind of looking for a general idea of what to expect. Also any suggestions on things that I maybe able to do to make recovery easier would be great.

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Upcoming MPFL Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 12:46:49 AM »
My daughter has had two one with her own tissue and second with cadevar tissue, reccomend the cadeavr tissue since her own tissue only lasted 4 weeks then started dislocating.  Cadevar tissue lasted 4 years and she is going to have to have it done again.  The doctor told me the now do it a different way then 4 years ago cadeavr tissue again but sounded like they are going to put two  MPFL in and wrap it I wish I understood it better to explain to you but ask your doctor what method he is doing.   I know a few people who have had to second MPFL after TTT

I wish you good luck she was on crutches about 3 weeks and pain was tolerable unlike the TTT which was brutal

Hope I have helped

Offline kimber71346

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 04:22:42 PM »
agresknee.... my graft will be from my hamstring tendon. from what i can understand my os doesn't like to use cadaver tendons. hopefully this will be last operation on this knee. i'm ready for it to be over with.

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 06:11:30 PM »
Ask about how  strecthy your tissue is there are alot of MPFL failures on knee guru
One of ladies on knee guru just had hers redone with cadevar this year because her own tissue stretched back out.   Search through the site and read about  failed MPFL so you can ask alot of questions.  You only want to go through this once.

support