Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Has anyone tried Biocartilage?  (Read 13373 times)

Offline egiggy73

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Has anyone tried Biocartilage?
« on: March 09, 2013, 03:55:32 AM »
I have been recommended Biocartilage by two top Cartilage surgeons in the USA, and I was surprised when doing a search for BioCartilage on Kneeguru, NOTHING came up.  This is a new procedure, so I was wondering if anyone out there has had this done?

It is a hybrid between microfrature and stem cells.  This might not be the appropriate thread for this topic, but I don't know what this would fall under.

Here is more info:
http://www.arthrex.com/orthobiologics/biocartilage-micronized-cartilage-matrix
It looks pretty cool to me, and my surgeon is excited about it.  It is like DenovoNT but dried and stored on a shelf.  ACI was my only other option (and possible cadaver allograft), so this seems like a way less invasive option.

Of course, I would do whatever surgery has the best results.  I have a 3.5 x 1.5 cm lesion to the bone in my medial femoral condyle, that has totally sidelined me the last 9 months.
Ready to get back to some sense of a normal life.

Please let me know if you have heard of this, or can direct me to a similar thread.
Thanks

Offline mrs407r

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Has anyone tried Biocartilage?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 06:02:17 PM »
I was also recommended this procedure. I am not a candidate for Denovo primarily because my condition is not significant enough and the tear is on the side a bit and not down to the bone.

I am also having trouble researching this. Any luck?

Offline kzalasky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 09:32:26 PM »
I'm in the US and just had a graft using Arthrex Biocartilage on my left knee, filling in a defect on the lateral tibial plateau.  My surgery was completed on Monday (5/6) by Rick Lehman in St. Louis. So far, everything is great. I have had two prior scopes on the same knee in 2003 and 2005 (by him) after dislocation of my knee cap.  He estimates that I will be non-weight bearing for 4 weeks and then go to partial after that.  I have started the CPM Machine for 3-4 hours every day and feel relatively little pain.  I stopped taking the percoset three days after surgery and am managing well on OTC pain meds. I also use a cold compression therapy at home. While I can't yet speak about the full recovery with the surgery, the doctor was pleased with how it went and was very optimistic.  Given my recovery experience thus far, I am too.

Offline egiggy73

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 11:45:52 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I have been rehabbing since my articular tear chondroplasty/arthrocsopy 1.5 cm x 4 cm (medial location & weight bearing) in January.  Now 7 months later, I can bike 45 min and walk 45 min.  I can't hike hills much, nor do elliptical.  Due to this progress, though, my surgeon thought I was not bad enough to do Biocartilage yet (even though he recommended a possibility of needing it 3 months ago).  So I guess this is good news.  But as a former competitive runner, being limited to short walks and bike rides is kind of a bummer...but I am way better than I was 9 months ago, unable to bike a minute without pain for 5 days.  So I guess this buys me time to see how the biocartilage use progresses over the next year or 2.  Please keep me posted on your progress if you can.  I'd love to see if you can do more than me in 6 months to a year.
Best,
egiggy73

Offline Roamer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 04:22:04 PM »
kzalasky,
So since you last reported on this board about 4 months has gone by.....what's the latest progress on your biocartilage?  I'm a candidate as well on both knees.....one troclear groove and the 2nd MFC and potential LFC.....love to hear more about your experience. 

From all the research I've seen it looks real promising as hyaline like cartilage is reproduced....not at a 100% but light years ahead of what you normal see in microfracture which is just fibrocartilage. 

Love to hear the progress and hope its going well.

T

Offline msiniscal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 04:58:43 PM »
Hi kzalasky,

I had microfracture surgery with Biocartilage inplantation (10mmx8mm lesion on medial femoral condyle) March 30th 2015.
It's been 9 months and I still have pain at 30 degrees leg flexation where at the site of microfracture.
Have you made a full recovery? How long before you saw results?

Offline psny

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 07:10:30 PM »
Hi kzalasky,

I had microfracture surgery with Biocartilage inplantation (10mmx8mm lesion on medial femoral condyle) March 30th 2015.
It's been 9 months and I still have pain at 30 degrees leg flexation where at the site of microfracture.
Have you made a full recovery? How long before you saw results?

Have you had any follow up MRI? Also, have you considered aiding healing with biologics such as bone marrow, prp, or SVF?

Online ArmstrongK

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 10:58:55 PM »
I wonder if doing PRP injections after getting something like biocartilage would help things?

Just a thought.

Offline psny

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 02:39:06 AM »
I wonder if doing PRP injections after getting something like biocartilage would help things?

Just a thought.

Probably not by very much, but it wouldn't hurt.

Offline rob wilson

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 04:57:09 PM »
I would definitely pump some prp or stem cells in there. Multiple injections. It should help. Just depends what the issue is.  Might be overgrowth. Might need shaved down. Need an MRI.
1997-Bilateral debridement
1999-Lt knee trochlea paste graft
2000-Rt knee trochlea paste graft
2000-Lt knee scar
2002-Lt knee ACI biopsy+plica
2002-Lt knee medial condyle abrasion+HGH
2002-Lt knee scar
2003-Rt knee trochlea abrasion+HGH
2005-Lt knee plica
2008 to present-Regenexx

Offline jennifloop

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 02:49:49 AM »
I'm in the US and just had a graft using Arthrex Biocartilage on my left knee, filling in a defect on the lateral tibial plateau.  My surgery was completed on Monday (5/6) by Rick Lehman in St. Louis. So far, everything is great. I have had two prior scopes on the same knee in 2003 and 2005 (by him) after dislocation of my knee cap.  He estimates that I will be non-weight bearing for 4 weeks and then go to partial after that.  I have started the CPM Machine for 3-4 hours every day and feel relatively little pain.  I stopped taking the percoset three days after surgery and am managing well on OTC pain meds. I also use a cold compression therapy at home. While I can't yet speak about the full recovery with the surgery, the doctor was pleased with how it went and was very optimistic.  Given my recovery experience thus far, I am too.
I just saw Dr. Lehman today and he recommended this procedure. I'm curious how you are doing now kzalasky!! Please let us know!!

Offline JMPusateri

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 10:37:41 PM »
I just saw Dr. Lehman today and he recommended this procedure. I'm curious how you are doing now kzalasky!! Please let us know!!

I am also with Dr. Rick and he has recommended me for this procedure.  Basically have worn away the cartilage due to being overweight, non-activity then deciding to do something about it.  I had weighloss surgery and decided I should start running..  had knee pain the doc said I messed the knee up by doing too much...

Offline kbart

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 08:04:56 PM »
hi jenni,
we have similar situations and was wondering if I could reach out to you to see how you are doing and what advice you may have for me. please advise. not sure how this procedure works as this is my first ever attempt at reaching out to someone on the board.....
kenny

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 399
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 08:19:34 PM »
hi jenni,
we have similar situations and was wondering if I could reach out to you to see how you are doing and what advice you may have for me. please advise. not sure how this procedure works as this is my first ever attempt at reaching out to someone on the board.....
kenny
Hi,
Jenni hasnít posted since Oct 2017 and only posted 3 times so itís very unlikely youíll hear back

What procedure are you specifically considering? For what knee condition?
What country are you in as not all procedures are available everywhere

This thread has been dormant since 2017, so itís not a mainstream procedure Iíd say
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up