Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I'm needing the REAL truth, be honest, plz  (Read 700 times)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
I'm needing the REAL truth, be honest, plz
« on: March 07, 2013, 12:43:56 AM »
I've been around this board, sadly for over 7 years.....that should speak volumes.  But I'm needing new information and hopefully someone can help me.

I've had both knees scoped several times and its time to do two total knees.  The difficult part is that my wonderful DH (age 55) has Early Onset Alzheimer's.  He for the most part is great - short term memory problems and he doesn't drive.  He is very co-dependent upon me, naturally.

Which brings me to the questions - the orthopedist says 4 days in the hospital.  I don't like it but understand that.  But realistic when released how long until I can do a few things?  I know I'll probably feel like poo, but is it realistic to think I can be in the kitchen to prepare a meal?  I'm thinking that DH will do very well but somehow I doubt his kitchen cleanup duties will be like mine!!! 

I guess I just want some input from someone who's done this.  Appreciate any and all idea's.  Also I'll need to have the other knee done, & orthopedist said anytime after 5 months.  Will I even be ready for another major surgery?  Thanks everyone.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: I'm needing the REAL truth, be honest, plz
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 04:08:17 PM »
Really? No one?

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 04:25:39 PM »
Hi,

I've had both knees replaced in 2 separate surgeries. The hospital I was in said they don't release knee patients until they are able to control pain by oral meds, can climb stairs (even if it takes time & looks awkward), & can make it to the bathroom by themselves (with walker), & can fix their own meals (even if it's only a peanut butter sandwich).  This usually meant being in the hospital 3 or 4 days.

You should check at the hospital where you'll have the surgery. They can tell you what you can expect when you get home. Make sure you tell them about any issues at home - fixing meals, stairs, what you might need to do to help your husband. In my experience, the hospital staff was very good at making sure I was prepared to do what I had to once I got home.

Good luck!

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 05:19:31 PM »
Based on my Momís experience with TKRÖ and my Dad being virtually useless in the house, I think itís possible to function well when you get home. She also had one knee done at a time like MyKnee2010, and very much the same in that before she left the hospital they had her up walking, basic stairs/activity before discharge. While I canít completely speak for her in terms of tolerance and how easy it was; she was able to move around the house when she needed to, and fix herself basic meals in the kitchen, load the dishwasher, pick up a little after my Dad, etc. by the time she got home. With any knee surgery, doing these kind of tasks just takes patience; you need to space them out and take it slow.

I agree with My Knee2010 Ė contact your OS/Hospital and find out their post-op protocol and what you can expect to be able to do in terms of activity, and clearly outline what you feel you need to be able do. 

In terms of meals if that is a concern after surgery, I often see the suggestion of cooking a bunch of stuff in advance of surgery and freezing it. Then all you have to do is take it out, and heat it up. Think soups, casseroles, etc.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 04:16:27 PM »
Thanks for the incite.  The doctor said 3/4 days, he prefers 4 - as you are just a touch more confident when you leave hospital. Home health will come in daily for 6 weeks.........

We have ton's of friends whom are willing & wanting to help - what will probably happen is too much stimulation for DH and myself!!  Having one done isn't as daunting to me as knowing once I feel up to it having the second knee done.  However, I can't keep on like this, so there is no other options.

eagle

Offline Lizn8r

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 11:49:57 AM »
Hi Eagle,
My parents found themselves in a somewhat similar situation last summer.  My father desperately need his hip replaced (he stubbornly waited too long to have it done, but that is beside the point :o) and my mother has rapidly advancing Alzheimer's.  He was out of the house for 7 days total; 3 in hospital and 4 in short term rehab.

Due to circumstances beyond our control, neither I or my sister were able to help much locally with my father's recovery or my mother's care in his absence.  My parents have a huge social network through their friends, church and other local groups they are associated with, which helped immensely with transportation for my mother back and forth to the hospital, as well as general emotional support. Unfortunately, Mom's Alzheimer's had progressed to the stage where she really couldn't remember from on minute to the next where my father was, what he was there for, and how long he would be gone, and she definitely could not take care of herself while Dad was away. We felt the best solution would be to hire an assisted living aide to cook, clean and...to be extremely honest ... 'babysit' Mom when she was home. This turned out to be a Godsend; Judy is the most kind and compassionate woman I have ever met, and my parents have developed a personal friendship with her.  Judy stayed on to help the first week after Dad got home, then scaled back her visits when she was sure that Dad was able to care for himself and Mom again.

Anyway, I'm rambling.  Consider the above as an option ... I'm not sure what the "home health"  you refer to will be visiting for, but I know that an assisted living aide will take care of your household while you are out of commission.  Its hard to leave the house chores in someone else's hands, but you need to focus on recovery and if they can alleviate some of your burden for a while, it might be worth it.

Good luck to you!
Sep '99: Tore left ACL (football) - misdiagnosed
Sep '99-Apr '09: Lived with pain and buckling
Apr '09: New PCP (who listened), MRI and OS consult - proper dx
May '09: LK ACL Allograft and 25% medial meniscus removal
Sep '09: Released from PT and OS ... back to things I haven't done in 10 years!