Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hardware complications  (Read 455 times)

Offline Serena fix

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hardware complications
« on: November 26, 2019, 12:45:34 AM »
I slipped on a newly moped wet floor helping my son move into his new apartment in Chicago and had ORIF patella surgery sept 8. 10 weeks post surgery my hardware stared protruding through my skin and appears to be producing a new kind of stiffness and pain, particularly at the end of the day. My surgeon anticipated this and recommended surgery to remove the hardware a year later but the hardware is causing crippling symptoms much sooner despite x rays showing my fracture is healing well. Has anyone else had symptomatic hardware arise so soon? Surgeons are reluctant to remove the hardware before at least 6 months so that the bone has had time to really heal.

Offline lostpirate

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
Re: Hardware complications
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 10:41:17 PM »
I have been gone been awhile. A long time (a few years) since I checked in here. If you are still checking in, I know all to well about hardware problems. They derailed my recovery for a long time. I had a pin slip. Off the top of my head, I want to say it was about 2 months after my surgery when the pin slipped. My OS did not want to remove any hardware until the 6 month mark. By 3 months I could hardly walk, it hurt so much. At the 3 month mark he decided to remove the pin that had slipped, but leave the rest in. I was not able to do PT after he removed the pin. At 6 months he went in and took the rest of my hardware out. Then I could begin PT again. Every OS is different. Some don't want to remove hardware unless it causes problems (in my opinion it will cause problems at some point and time. It's not a question of if, but when). Other OS's want to keep it in a year before they remove it. And others still, like mine, will take it out at 6 months. Hopefully by now that hardware has been removed, if not and your OS doesn't want to remove it,  go get a 2nd opinion. I remember when my OS removed that pin at 3 months, he was reluctant to do so, but said he would, because if he didn't I would have no problems finding another OS who would.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 10:43:19 PM by lostpirate »
5/2/09..Broken right patella
5/4/09..Surgery. 2 pins and wire
6/5/09..Began PT (60 degrees ROM)
6/12/09..Began walking out of immobilizer
6/29/09..2 month check up (130 degrees ROM)
7/12/09..Full ROM
7/22/09..Shifting pin
8/14/09..pin removed
11/10/09..All hardware removed

support