Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MACI and Fulkerson Osteotomy March 15th 2013  (Read 6274 times)

Offline Code girl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: MACI and Fulkerson Osteotomy March 15th 2013
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 08:12:28 AM »
Hi I am 7 days post op from a open wedge high tibia osteotomy and microfracture ...I'm not allowed to weight bear up to 8 weeks ...I'm finding the straightening and bending excessive are excruciating and I can't do them the foot flexion is a lot better does anyone know if this will get better over time ...I would like to do a diary of my post op but not sure how to do this many thanks  ;D

Offline DebbieCJ

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2013, 04:01:28 PM »
Hey Sune / Ozzie / Code girl,
Thanks for your posts.
I'll be 10 weeks post op tomorrow, with another physio session planned to see if my reduced exercise regime has improved the fluid level in my knee.
I'm walking much more easily now, although still with one crutch for stability. My knee still feels 'fat', in the area below the knee cap, but i am massaging every day to try and minimise this.
The bike is also much easier - I am managing 2 x 5 minutes easily, with very little stiffness on the first few revolutions.
The lateral side of my knee is still very tender and there has been little improvement. Not sure what else I can do other than ask the physio for advice and take painkillers when it's particularly niggly.

Sune,
I've been following your diary with interest - it's great to see your progress and useful for me to get a feel for what might come next! I've also reduced my exercises right down and feel it has helped.

Ozzie,
Good luck with your forthcoming surgery - if you have any questions, feel free to ask. It's comforting to get an idea of what to expect and what is 'normal', although we're all unique.

Code girl,
To start a post op diary, click on the Post Op Diaries<50 posts index and at the top select 'New Topic', this will be the first post of your diary.

I'll post a physio update tomorrow.

Best wishes
Debbie

2008 steroid injections, Bilateral arthroscopy
2012 bilateral arthroscopy, cartilage biopsy
2013 MACI (patella), Fulkerson and lateral release march 15th

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2013, 09:00:42 PM »
Debbie,

I'll be interested in your update post tomorrow. I have fluid on my knee still too. My physical therapist told me yesterday that it could be a few more months. He also said it doesn't look too bad though. That's great that you can bike! I got to do some work on the bike yesterday, just 1/2 revolutions though.

Keep us posted! Sorry your lateral side of your knee still hurts. Mine does too.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope
3/2013 TTO, Lateral Release, Medial Reefing, Grade III Patella lesion.
11/2013 TTO L knee, LR, Medial Reefing, R knee screw removal

Offline DebbieCJ

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2013, 12:02:01 PM »
10 week post op update.

My physio is really pleased with my progress - the fluid in my knee has reduced (measures 1cm less round my knee joint).

I need to continue with the bike, leg raises, static quads and balance exercises and she's given me some additional ways of exercising my thigh muscle to try and start building it up - at the moment, it's maintaining it's size, but not increasing. The exercises are basically other ways of doing leg raises, lying on my front or my side. Will give them a try later!

There's not much I can do to reduce the tenderness on the lateral side of my knee, it's just going to take time. I will continue to massage the area every day as this helps with the bike exercise.

I have a consultant appointment next week, then at 12 weeks I should be able to start doing weight bearing exercises such as squats, as the cartilage should be sufficiently stable.

Debbie

Offline DebbieCJ

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2013, 06:10:39 PM »

Hi All,
11 week and 2 day update.

I had my 12 week follow up last Thursday (11 weeks!) and consultant was very pleased with my progress.
I can bend well, although it is still painful and tender around the lateral area and the spot above the Fulkerson. I am walking much more easily, although after a length of time the whole knee aches and stiffens up.
I have issues with atrophy, with my leg feeling very weak. The consultant asked me to do a mini squat on my right leg, only moving my knee an inch or so forward, then the same on my left which made me feel as though I was going to fall over! Another week and I can start doing strength exercises, putting a small amount of stress through my knee and hopefully building up the muscle.

It still feels like really slow progress, but I'm no longer using my crutch so it is improving and moving forward.
I'm also getting better on the bike - it's much easier than when I first started using it.
Must stay positive!
I'm seeing my physio at the end of next week so will let you know how the next stage of exercises goes!

Debbie

Offline ozzie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
  • ACI & Fulkerson 6/25/13, ACI & Fulkerson 12/26/13
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2013, 05:21:07 AM »
Hi Debbie,  My ACI Patella and Fulkerson surgery is in two days.  Reading your notes is so helpful.  I will cross my fingers that I have such smooth progress as you are having on recovery.  Best wishes for continued improvements.
ACI patella and trochlea & Fulkerson on Dec. 26, 2013-Dr. Scott Gillogly
ACI patella surgery and Fulkerson with Dr. Gillogly June 25, 2013
Extensive cartilage damage in both knees due to misalignment of patellas

support