Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I had HTO and something went wrong...I don't know what to do...  (Read 4046 times)

Offline SkyWalker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I had HTO and something went wrong...I don't know what to do...
« on: February 26, 2013, 12:15:33 AM »
I had HTO surgery on my right leg about 5 wks ago due to bowleg and the knee pain(pain level was minor. I started getting this pain every time I run for a long time since a year ago). 

I followed the post-po regimen and elevated my legs everyday, icing every 20 mins for first 3 wks. Now 5 wks post-op, I am doing PT workout everyday and now I can bend my knee 170 degree(laying down). I still have pain(btw 5-6) and take pain killer. Most of the swelling has gone down and...I realized my leg still doesn't look straight and it looks still bowed a lot. My fibula head is sticking out on the outside of my leg, and it looks like my lower knee is not lined up straight with my upper leg(I can't explain well...but my leg still looks deformed)...Before the surgery, my doctor told me my bowed leg was moderate level and correction was 10 degree. I asked him my leg will be straight after the surgery, he said yes with confidence...

Now I also have pain in my fibula head part, not only my knee cap. Yesterday I slept with my operated leg slightly bend(like 5 degree). When I woke up this morning my knee cap and outer leg hurt really badly...I am afraid my alignment is off( again my leg looks obviously deformed...)...I mentioned this concern to my doctor 3 wks post-op(I emailed him and made an emergency appointment), but he said "Do not worry about cosmetic right now. It's straighter. Do your PT workout and come back in 4 wks". I believe it is not just cosmetic issue because my leg is still bowed and my upper and lower leg are off aligned...I am not sure what to do...I am trying to be positive but can't help being very depressed...

Please give me an advice...

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: I had HTO and something went wrong...I don't know what to do...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 05:20:26 PM »
Well, sometimes, yes...things DO go wrong (case in point, I broke my femur while recovering, and my doc didn't believe me until I went in :D)... BUT for the vast majority of times, it really is probably normal--esp. if yoru doctor seems to  think it's on track.

Honestly, my leg didn't look "normal" for MONTHS. And you can, and will, get a lot of pain and irritation on the opposite side of the leg as stuff realigns. But good that you are going in, to either fix it or put your mind at ease. Keep us posted! Hugs <3
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 03:06:46 PM »
Have you thought of getting a second opinion? What does your physio say? They are normally quite knowledgeable and often worked with other HTO patients.
It can be painful during the recovery process, as the muscles have atrophied prior to the op and physio can help so much with this.

This is my own post op diary for my HTO,

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=58048.0

If you have any questions please ask, I will answer based on my own experience.

WD

Offline SkyWalker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 01:57:17 PM »
mmrocker13, thank you.

WD,

I am thinking about getting a second opinion as well, because I am scared...My family thinks my leg is still bowed and off aligned...I've also noticed every time I bend my knee, my kneecap makes clicking sounds as if my bones are rubbing each other...Before surgery, I never had this problem...I am very worried...

Yesterday I couldn't sleep because of my knee pain. My kneecap and outer leg hurt badly...I can't find comfortable position for my leg...I also noticed I am getting random bruises around my knee cap. Those are mild bruises but I am not sure if it is normal or not...

Next wk will be my 6 wk post-op and I supposed to meet my surgeon.  I'll address this issue again with him, but I am afraid he will tell me the same thing...

When I am standing for more than 3 mins, my leg color still turns purple and red. I guess it's normal...?

I've read your diary before, and I am happy to know your surgery went well.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:14:41 PM by SkyWalker »