Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New to Board-Multiple Ligament Tear  (Read 595 times)

Offline gigi307

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New to Board-Multiple Ligament Tear
« on: February 23, 2013, 07:34:47 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the board and was so pleased to find that such a forum exists.  I've been reading various posts and must say that it's really validating to see that others have been through what I'm going though and understand what it's like to suffer a knee injury.

I wanted to share my story...I should start out by saying I'm a woman in my early 30's, and have been pretty healthy all of my life.  I have never experienced anything like this before.  I had a random accident in September of 2012, where I was walking on an uneven sidewalk and tripped and fell.  The fall seemed to be in slow motion...I can remember my knee twisting in the air.  I ended up dislocating my knee and tearing my ACL, PCL, and LCL :/  The doctors explained to me that this is a pretty serious injury, and the sort of thing they would see if someone were in a car crash or some other major physical accident.  So needless to say it's sort of bizarre that this happened to me in just a trip and fall.

Right after the injury happened, I was rushed to the ER and they reset my knee and put an external fixator on my leg.  A month later I had surgery, wherein they replaced my LCL and ACL.  Due to the severity of my injury I was unable to put weight on my leg/foot until January 2013, and was on bed-rest.  I started PT in January and am now able to put weight on my leg and can actually walk around, but the issue I have now is my knee is stiff and I can only bend it to about 50 degrees or so.  As a result, I am walking with a limp, stairs are difficult to navigate, and I cannot walk very fast.  My PT keeps reminding me to bend my knee when I walk, so I don't walk peg legged.  Thankfully I have minimal pain, I'm just so frustrated that after all that I've been through, now my knee is so stiff.  I do my PT exercises daily and am kind of just at my wits end.  I really want to get back to work.  I had no idea after going through all of this that my knee would not bend properly...I was never told by my doctors that this would possibly happen.  All I really expected was to experience a lot of pain and thankfully it's been minimal.

Any thoughts, feedback, ideas about what else I could be doing to help get my knee to bend would be great.

Thanks for listening/reading.