Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Should I cancel the Droitwich Half Marathon!  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Should I cancel the Droitwich Half Marathon!
« on: February 06, 2013, 04:00:19 PM »
I injured my right knee on black ice on Friday 25th January 2013 while walking and fell hard on my knee and hip. The hip seems to be ok now itís the knee thatís not improving at the moment and have been taking 500mg Naprosyn tablets twice a day and not making much difference and still having pain and swelling at the bottom of the kneecap. I cannot run still as the whole of the bottom knee hurts as soon as I try to run or walk faster.

I spoke to the Chairman of Droitwich AC yesterday and said he needs to know by the end of the week if I can take part still in the Droitwich Half Marathon on Sunday 3rd March so another member can take my place and happen to be runner 13 in the year 2013 so seems to be bad luck for me as I was one of the top runners at the Club and will be annoyed if I have to cancel the half marathon.

Been to Droitwich Knee Clinic to ask for an cortisone injection and will not give me one unless I see an OS that cost money as I not insured at the moment and are concerned that I may damage my knee further if I run 13.1 miles.

Should I be sensible and give my place to another member of Droitwich AC as what I do not want to see happening is cancel it then 2 weeks before marathon can run ok again so is a gamble to cancel so early. I am seeing my GP Friday so will see what he advises me to do.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline RLE

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: Should I cancel the Droitwich Half Marathon!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 04:58:14 PM »
Maybe take up swimming.  :D But that's me. I'm an admitted wimp.
Accident 2011: permanent dislocation, hole under the patella, bone fragments/debris embedded, scar tissue, 3 torn ligaments, fracture, cartilage sheared off, contracture,
2011 MUA
PT on-going
2012 MPFL reconstruction,TTT
        TTT
        Lateral lengthenin
        Arthroscopy/clean out
Thx Dr. T

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 05:52:32 PM »
Only you can decide but in honesty it seems a bit unlikely you'll be fully fit in 3 weeks time. To do a half marathod you need to have trained properly or you'll be at risk of even worse problems.

There are many many more halfs out there. Chalk this one down to experience and be sensible. Just my thoughts.  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline greatfulgann

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:56:51 PM »
Yes cancel the marathon! So not worth it!

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 01:14:50 PM »
Hi All,

I think I got no option but to pull out of the Droitwich Half Marathon and very disappointed and my health has to come 1st and just bad luck that I compete in my very 1st  Half Marathon and 2013 was going to be the year I would take part in other runs and marathons for the club and now have to put it all on hold for the time being and will see what my GP says tomorrow and think he will say to me not to run, well I cannot run and even if my knee did recover still have a fresh knee injury and running just over 13 miles will not be good for my right knee.

[email protected]
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 02:08:39 PM »
Hi All,

Saw my GP and was not much use as he never examined my knee properly thinking it just badly bruised and will try and see my regular PT that knows my knee problem well and is very open and honest that I like as it better to get straight to the point.

I will hand in my Marathon number back to the Chairman on Tuesday before they run at 6pm and need a miracle now for my right knee to heal up by Tuesday. I am 80% certain will have to pull out.

[email protected]

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 02:45:40 AM »
The thing is that there's a really good chance your GP is right. It's so unlikely that your fall caused a more complex problem, like your plica or scar tissue, to resurface - these things would take time rather than happening immediately after the fall. Everything you describe about the fall sounds like you badly bruised the knee. Unfortunately this kind of bruising, especially if it extends to the bone, is painful and restrictive and can take some time to recover.

Definitely see your PT for a more thorough assessment of the knee, but try not to overthink this injury (I know that's really hard when you have a history of knee problems.) Everything you've described, from the injury mechanism to the symptoms, sounds like bad bruising. Unfortunately that may well keep you from this half marathon if it's severe enough - but it won't keep you from the next one, or the one after that. Your PT should be able to give you a good idea of the timeframe for recovery.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 01:28:45 PM »
Hi Snowy,

I hope you are right and this fall has been the hardest fall out of the 3 and is now day 18 since the fall and always had problems prior to the fall with pain and discomfort at the bottom of the knee & fallen on the same area can not have done the knee much good.

Is it worth paying £60 to see a PT at Droitwich Knee Clinic as I down there on a regular basis meeting my Aspie friends in the Spa Town of Droitwich.

[email protected]

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 07:05:29 PM »
Hi Nick-

I'm hoping that Snowy is right and your knee has just been badly bruised.

I did find this which could also explain the pain.   Ihttp://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/knee-pain/fat-pad-impingement

" The infrapatella fat pad (sometimes known as Hoffa's pad) is a soft tissue that lies beneath the patella (kneecap) separating it from the femoral condyle (end of the thigh bone). In situations where forces are directed at the patella it acts as a shock absorber, thus protecting the underlying structures.
In the case of a forceful direct impact to the kneecap, the fat pad can become impinged (pinched) between the femoral condyle and the patella. As the fat pad is one of the most sensitive structures in the knee, this injury is known to be extremely painful. This condition is normally long-standing as it is aggravated by extension (straightening) of the knee joint. Hence the fat pad comes under constant irritation and may become significantly inflamed."

If my memory is correct, you had your fat pad trimmed when you had your plica removed and your first surgery was to help with pain after you fell on your knee. I may be remembering wrong, but i think that your patella position ( MRI results showing lower position) might make you more prone to impingement. Could you see Russ to have him check out your knee?

I hope it stops hurting soon.

Kristin
12/31/08 - Skiing injury L knee
6/1/09 - ACL stump removed from joint
8/31/09 - ACLr - Hamstring Graft
12/21/09 - Ant Fasciotomy 
8/26/10 - Anterior Interval Release
12/6/10, 5/5/11, 12/22/11 - Fasciotomy
12/7/12 - Nerve Decompression
6/3/13(m), 7/29/13(l), 12/13/13(m & foot) 2/3/14(l) Fasciotomy

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 05:40:53 PM »
Thanks Kristin,

I forgot about my right patella being lower than normal and now makes sense why I am getting pain and discomfort at the bottom that's also still swollen. I am calling my PT Russ tomorrow and see what he thinks it could be and really needs to access my right knee 1st to work out what causing the pain and swelling.

I am at Droitwich Library right now and about to go to see the Chairman of Droitwich AC at 6pm and will cancel the Half Marathon as I still cannot run and still getting knee pain and gutted that I have had to give into my stupid right knee again and was on top form before the fall and could not have come at a worse time as I am still looking for a job as a Support Worker for Autistic children as well as other personal issues to deal with right now.

I just have to start from scratch again once me knee fully recovered again and got use to setbacks in my life and will not let this one get me down. I hope itís just bruising and worst case scenario a scope and have been through it before and do not mind the surgery itís the recovery time and my muscles will be wasted once again and hope it does not go that far.

nickwclarke2013BhamUK

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 06:28:42 PM »
Hi All,

Saw my regular PT today and my right knee is structurally ok and suggested custom made orthotics will benefit my knee pain and should try and have a pair made and see if it improves the knee pain as he said he can see by looking at my foot arches that a lot of the pain is caused by not wearing orthotics and will now save up to buy a pair.

I am not sure if it will solve my knee injury and best to try conservative methods 1st and if that fails a cortisone injection might be the next sensible option.

Right knee is not improving yet and has been nearly 4 weeks since fall and seeing my GP 4th March and can see what he suggests who's best to see as I would like to run by Easter Sunday if things go right and knee improves.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 12:14:30 PM »
Hi All,

Tomorrow is the Droitwich Half Marathon and very gutted that I cannot compete in the in it and would have easily have managed it if it was not for the fall on black ice and hard to accept. I am seeing a PT on Wednesday on the NHS and see what she suggests what to do next as I am still having problems with the bottom of my right knee and also seeing my GP Monday morning.

[email protected]