Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patellar tendon rupture/Serosanguinous drainage  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Rbrunsvold

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patellar tendon rupture/Serosanguinous drainage
« on: February 23, 2013, 04:53:52 PM »
I am new to this site have followed for about 5 mos since my injury.  I have received a ton of useful info from here both mentally and physically.  Thank you to all!!!!

Here goes to sum it up.  About 5 mos ago I ruptured my patellar tendon from about a 7 ft fall.  4 days after injury the injury was repaired.  The surgeon drilled 3 holes thru my kneecap and pulled the tendon thru and secured it on the top of the patella.  About 5 days after the repair I was admitted into the ER for MRSA.  I was in the hospital for a week and released.  During the following 4 mos Of the nasty recovery the infection came and went a few times.  A month ago the surgeon decided to go in and remove everything used to repair the injury.  Since the last surgery things have been going great strength and ROM have made leaps and bounds.  My only concern/question is a small hole that has been draining Serosanguinous fluid. (Think thats what it called) a clearish to pinkish fluid.  This has been going on for about a month the surgeon doesnt seem to be worried about it i have no signs of infection.  The hole isnt closing I have to change the dressing about 3x a day it tends to drain a lot more on my active days.  Really when I take the dressing off and press on my knee I can get the fluid to squirt out.  I'am assuming if the hole closes i will have an abundant amount of fluid buildup.  Guess my question is what are my options or my next action.  I trust my surgeon very much just getting a little frustrated.

My back ground I am almost 40 and extremely active no other health problems. Any comments please     

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Patellar tendon rupture/Serosanguinous drainage
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 05:02:33 PM »
Hi Rbrunsvold

Welcome to the RPT thread - you have been so unlucky to get this infection - In which hospital did you get your op and the infection.

I am attaching a set of documents which I have compiled over the years - read with care - ASK questions, lots of buddies on the RPT surgery webpage to give you advice.

Where do you live?

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK 

Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon