Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Absolutely frustrated!  (Read 813 times)

Offline Sherri Lynn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Absolutely frustrated!
« on: February 23, 2013, 03:03:11 PM »
I first posted here in 2011 after a nasty fall on snow and ice. I had arthroscopic surgery on my knee in April of 2011. Then I had another arthroscopic surgery in Sept. of 2011 to remove scar tissue from behind my patella. (arthofibrosis). My leg had contracted and I had a 30 degree loss of extension, loss of flexion wasn't real bad. So while they had me in surgery they straightened my leg and put me in a full leg cast. Three days later they had me go back to the surgeon and they removed that cast and began another cast, while I sat on a chair and extended my leg to another chair. In that position before the cast set, the surgeon hyper extended my leg and held it in that position until the cast was pretty much set. The pain was excruciating!!! But I was willing to do almost anything because I wanted my leg to be straight again. Upon my release from the surgeon he said he got my extension back (while it's on a table) but I asked him why in the world is it still bent when I stand??? He says he has absolutely NO idea...that was a year ago. To date, my leg still looks bent, my knee cap looks lower than the other knee cap. No x-ray or MRI was ever done to check and see if there was something else going on in there. So here I am asking anyone here if they have ANY idea what could be going on or what could be causing this??? Please...

Offline Sherri Lynn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Absolutely frustrated!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »
P.S...I just saw that in something I'd previously posted here about this that a few people suggested strengthening exercises. Very good idea and one I've tried for months, however they stopped PT because of the level of pain I have when doing the exercises. One other thing, and I don't know if this makes any difference to anyone's opinion but behind my knee it bulges out. I don't know what it is, the surgeon never said what it is and almost a year and a half after surgery it's still there. Just wondering if this is what is causing me to not be able to straighten it??? I don't know what to think or do...

Offline EdD

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: Absolutely frustrated!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 03:34:07 PM »
So sorry you are going through this. Sounds like you are still dealing with Arthrofibrosis. Are you in the U.S.? You should consider seeing Dr. Shelbourne in Indianapolis. He focuses on restoring extension. 

I think you should also look at  the information on Arthrofibrosis on this site
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/433

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/guest-contributors/dr-frank-noyes/arthrofibrosis-course-dr-frank-noyes/introduction-arthrofibrosis

I hope this helps!
1/23/2006 tore the ACL, MCL, meniscus, femoral nerve while  skiing
1/30/2006 ACL reconstruction hamstring graft, meniscus repair at Vail
4/2007 femoral nerve damage diagnosed
8/1/2007 LOA/MUA at Vail "severe arthrofibrosis"