Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: need advice for ACI surgery next month  (Read 653 times)

Offline ozzie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
  • ACI & Fulkerson 6/25/13, ACI & Fulkerson 12/26/13
need advice for ACI surgery next month
« on: March 07, 2013, 09:02:24 PM »
Hi, I am a 49 year old woman planning to have ACI on both knees-one at a time.
 I am having an arthroscopy March !2 (6 days from now) to "harvest" cartilage for ACI surgeries.  I have had knee pain for 10 years and was told by 4 orthopedic surgeons that it was chondromalacia and there was nothing they could do.  My patellas are in the "wrong" place (outside the center) and have worn away the cartilage completely in some areas (probably would have been less damage if I could have had the patellas moved 10 years ago-not sure why that did not happen).  I live in Atlanta which I am now especially happy about because one of the top surgeons for ACI knee surgery, Dr. Gillogly, is here and he will perform the surgery.  The problem, unfortunately is on both knees!  So, I plan to have the surgeries 6 weeks apart-although I guess that might be "flexible" given whatever happens. During the ACI procedure, the doctor will also move the patella, which I believe is called Fulkerson.....

I have very much appreciated the blogs that i have read on here and elsewhere.  I have purchased some of the items recommended on a woman's blog on this site-including shoes and shorts!  If anyone sees this message and has any suggestions I would appreciate it. I am trying to lose the weight I have gained being inactive prior to surgery and also to strengthen my quadriceps, which seems like it would be helpful for rehab... If you can point me to a blog I may have missed-that would be great too.  I know many people have their injuries as result of "trauma"-I have not seen any blogs/posts with a history like mine, ie, wearing away of the cartilage over time. I am interested in any individual's experiences though, not just those with my identical problem.

Thank you!
ACI patella and trochlea & Fulkerson on Dec. 26, 2013-Dr. Scott Gillogly
ACI patella surgery and Fulkerson with Dr. Gillogly June 25, 2013
Extensive cartilage damage in both knees due to misalignment of patellas

Aj9646

Re: need advice for ACI surgery next month
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 04:23:00 AM »
Hey,

I wouldn't advise you to do both knees at the same time. It's a damn nuisance to function afterwards. Im 5wks post op aci left knee and 8months post op right knee.

I suggest ou prepare yourself mentally. It's not an easy surgery, your knee will be in a brace in extension for a few wks afterwards and you practically lose muscle. It's a very involved and prolong rehabilitation. I spent months doing hydro and still doing physio for right knee which is still wobbly and crack like crazy. I was tennis and gym mad and naturally wear aNd tear eventually.

Make sure you have help at home after surgery, because you will not be able to do much on your own. I'm not sure what the procedures ar in the US but in the uk it's different. Weight gain is a nuisance, I went from 64kgs to 72kgs since my first surgery due to lack of activity.

You'll be fine though, you just need to understand it takes time to get back to normal. I suggest you take yourself to a swimming pool as soon as you are able to. It helps a lot.

Good luck with surgery.
Aj

Offline ozzie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
  • ACI & Fulkerson 6/25/13, ACI & Fulkerson 12/26/13
Re: need advice for ACI surgery next month
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 04:55:30 AM »
Thanks very much for your advice. I hope you continue to improve. I am bracing myself for the year (more) ahead!  Still just knowing that you have done both knees helps my confidence. 
ACI patella and trochlea & Fulkerson on Dec. 26, 2013-Dr. Scott Gillogly
ACI patella surgery and Fulkerson with Dr. Gillogly June 25, 2013
Extensive cartilage damage in both knees due to misalignment of patellas

support