Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patellar reduction prior to total reduction  (Read 468 times)

Offline JPeazy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patellar reduction prior to total reduction
« on: February 19, 2013, 09:19:16 AM »
Hello all.  I am new to the site, so please excuse any faux pas.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Last December my wife suffered a fall and completely dislocated her knee.  A MRI taken 3 days later showed that she tore her ACL, PCL.  There was also a break in her tibia where the LCL connects.  The LCL itself didn’t tear, but the bone broke away.

After she fell I had to find care for my daughter before joining her in the E.R.  When I arrived she told me that the physician who first treated her had aggressively tried to get her to bend her knee.  He told her, “There’s nothing I can do for you unless you bend your knee.”  He pushed her foot and instructed her to bend.  They heard a snap and she was given an x-ray confirming the dire state of her joint.  In short, I feel he broke her bone with this nonsense.

The ER doc called an orthopedist and he reduced the knee.  She stayed in the hospital overnight for observation and was released in the morning.

Last month I started receiving the medical bills.  The E.R. doc billed for a patellar reduction.  I question whether this is a valid charge.  Why would she need a patellar reduction if she suffered a total knee dislocation?  Couldn’t any manipulation of that joint prior to a total knee reduction cause further injury?

Did he bill this way to stave off a medical malpractice suit stemming from his misconduct prior to x-ray?

Thanks again.

JP

support