Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fat Pad  (Read 869 times)

Offline claus6778

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fat Pad
« on: February 16, 2013, 07:12:44 PM »
Hello everyone,

I think my surgeon removed some fat pad during arthroscopy.  I am wondering if fat pad can grow back?  Is there any way to augment fat pad or stimuate it's regrowth?

thank you.
roger

Offline Hiker girl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
Re: Fat Pad
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:50:43 PM »
If your fat pad was being impinged he would have removed some...shaved it.  If that is the case you don't want it to grow back although some do. :-[

Check out some of the topics on fat pad.  There are several of us now that have had this, and it helps to know you are not alone.

Take care Roger
Rt. knee pain while hiking 08/10
Saw GP 04/11
PT 05/11  failed
MRI  clean 06/11
1st OS, nothing wrong, fired him.
2nd OS, cortisone shot 12/11 
Scope 05/12, fat pad impingement, cleaned and reshaped.
3rd and 4th OS think nerve problem
Nerve study June 2012, Femoral nerve damage

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Fat Pad
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 06:14:24 PM »
Hi Roger,

I had my fat pad shaved and medial plica removed during key hole surgery in November 2009 as I was getting sharp pain and catching in my right knee. I did try a cortisone injection and physio and did not improve and MRI scan came up normal so had no option in the end but to have an exploratory scope.

I managed to fall onto my right knee again on black ice and now getting pain and swelling at the bottom of the knee. I hope it just badly bruised and is now nearly 4 weeks since fall and no improvements yet and unable to run as it the bottom of the knee hurts as soon as I gather pace.

My OS did warn me that my medial plica could grow back again and may cause problems and not so sure about the fat pad also growing back. My incline is that I am having the same problems again as my right kneecap is lower than it should be and could be an inflamed plica and fat pad causes the pain and discomfort and having the same symptoms as before my scope.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming