Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Can anyone help me deal with excruciating blood rush following TTT ? PLEASE  (Read 15177 times)

Offline Vero cayman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Had a TTT and LR nine days ago now. I am now allowed to open brace while in bed, to ice it. Great relief, but still unbearable pain if touched. One of my biggest concern is the terrible, excruciating, unexpected blood rush I feel each time I am trying to get up (to use bathroom). It was so impossible to bear and took all my energy (and quite a lot of tears), that I now found a system where my husband gently lower me to the floor from my bed, and with a satin pillow under my ankle, I drag myself on the floor and to the toilet. Same for the return trip. It is quite an expedition and of course it doesn't allow me anything more than just that. Can younPLEASE share your blood rush experience with me (even if negative), so I know if and when this will calm down, or if I will be with this for months. Because of this, it is impossible to visit my OS for post op (he came to me once so far), and I don't see how I will to to physio when the time will come. This feeling also doesn't decrease as days pass on. Please can someone help me ? Thank you. Sincerely....
Fell right on knee cap in 1991-1992.
2012 diagnosis of patellar mal-tracking in both knees. Partly genetic.
2012 diagnosis of chondromalacia patella grade IV in right leg
6th of February 2013, TTT Fulkerson surgery and LR, right leg

Offline TheFonz

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
Hey vero,

I had a acl reconstruction back in 1996 where they take the middle 1/3 of your petalla tendon and use it as your new acl.  I remember that procedure being excruciating painful.  I had the same blood rushing sensation you are describing each time I would get up to go to the bathroom.  I remember putting off going to the bathroom for as long as possible so I could avoid that sensation. It was such a painful experience I still remember it 15 years later.  The blood rush would last for like 15 to 30 seconds and then start to Go away once your knee got aclamated.  After the 30 second blood rush, it would go away so long as I stayed upright, but would reset each time I laid back down and got up again.

My best friend also tore his acl and he said he had the same blood rushing sensation each time he got up too.  I am pretty sure it's common for acl procedures.  I believe Mine and my friends lasted about 2 to 3 weeks.  Yours is a different procedure so it may take longer or less time.

I know it sucks, but if I remember correctly, I found that getting up more often and sucking up the blood rush so the body could acclimate to it helped acceleratee the process of it going away.  For example, if you get up once the entire day, the blood rush is worse then the 4th time you get up.  And the longer you stay laying down before getting up, the worse the blood rush was.  Don't get me wrong, it's still painful the 4th time. 

To see what I mean, try standing upright and stay up on your feet till the blood rush Goes away.  For me, it was about 30 sec.  Then move around the house for about five or ten minutes to let your leg acclimate.  Then lay down for just a min or two, then get back up.  The blood rushing sensation will be almost negligible.  However, if you wait another hour or two to get back up, the blood rushing sensation will be very painful again.  Just make it through that initial 30 surge when you get up, then the blood rushing sensation will dissipate.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 07:08:47 AM by TheFonz »
Check out the link below to see my journal of my Denovo NT procedure.  3cm x 3cm defect on the Lateral Trochlea of the left knee.
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=61437.0

Offline Vero cayman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
TheFonz, I was soooonhappy to get a reply !!!!!!! And guess what ? I tried and went up a little bit, thinking very very hard about what you told me to do. And I was even able to stand while washing my hands !!! It was a few very short minutes maybe, but I was so thrilled and my husband was very proud. Took me a while to settle down again and stop shaking from the pain, but that is a start, right ? Sometimes knowing that someone cares a little bit to write to you can give you a strength you didn't have anymore ! Thx ! After this small step, I promise to try again tomorrow.... Thank you very much.

Offline TheFonz

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
Vero,

I am assuming the blood rushing pain stopped after about 30 seconds after you stood and stayed on your feet?  It will reset each time you lay back down and then try and get up.  But once you get past that 30 blood rush and stay on your feet, the painshould be tolerable to move about.  The more times you do it throughout the day it gets a little better, but not a lot.  It may take a few weeks for it to totally go away. 

I remember dreading going to the bathroom because the blood rushing pain was brutal.  But I found it helped me in the long run to just suck it up and get up a few times a day.  For me, I noticed my knee was acclimating faster each successive time I got up rather then just getting up like once a day. 

If you have concerns though, definitely call your doc.

Good luck!
Check out the link below to see my journal of my Denovo NT procedure.  3cm x 3cm defect on the Lateral Trochlea of the left knee.
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=61437.0

Offline Vero cayman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
TheFonz, I need more than thirty seconds, and it is just hard because I am totally NWBnon the operated leg, and weak on my crutches. That makes moving around tough, but I will keep working on it ! What also makes the exercise tricky is that my lower leg is in a brace (hate that thing), so it makes it challenging to sit when having a totally straight leg. Doesn't help improving my blood rush issue I think. In any case, once again, THANK YOU !!!

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
It absolutely is a challenging situation by all accounts. Keep working the ankle pumps to improve circulation particularly before you get up. It should help? at the very least the extreme blood rushes should likely pass with in a matter of weeks. From what I've read (I had some blood rushes after surgery, but not extreme like you or others have described) they do pass as you become more active and start to get up and move around more. So, if it makes any sense... possibly, the more you can get up and work through them - the faster they may pass?
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
I had painful blood rushes after my second knee replacement. I found if I wrapped my knee with an ace bandage as soon as I stood up it helped stop the pain. After the first few weeks I didn't need the bandage anymore.

Hope yours feels better soon!

Offline Vero cayman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Thankmyounallyd and myknee2010 for your care and replies ! I am very slowly working toward less pain and sure itnwillmget better soon. Itnisnhowever not easy for me, being a wife, mom of two (and three Yorkies), and one who likes taking care of others rather than being assisted all day long for weeks. And did I say I am impatient ? Fine to be sickmformsome days, but then I have to run the house again LOL ! At least ingot a bit of my sense of humor back, so as my husband says, this is a huge improvement and step toward being me again. Next challenge will be to have the strength and guts to go down the stairs in my house, then out of the house at some point. Not ready for that one yet. Thank you for your support and sharing your stories ! I wish you all the very best and healthy knees (limbs, etc).

Offline destinycrane

• Regular Poster
  • Fall down 7 times. Get up 8.
I had a MPML plication on both knees (scope with locked ROM brace) and I had that happen to me both times I don't remember about my first surgery.

Take it slow getting up, lift/move your leg a little at a time and it will get better.
17 years old
08-10 diagnosed w/ PFPS, runners knee/Osgood-Schlatters Disease
12/11 Exploratory R knee scope
09/12 R MPML Plication
12/12 L MPML Plication
-kneecaps still sublux

Offline gottarun13

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
I had ACL recon with hamstring 8 days ago.  I too, am having excruciating blood rush pain.  I too, am a very active mom of two kids and several fur kids. I run the house and do NOT like being down, waited on etc.  I'm horribly impatient with the things that I want to get done, including my progress.

From all my reading on here today, it sounds like, getting up, getting up, getting up some more, and getting up even more is the key here.  Has anyone tried timing it over the course of days to see progress that way?? For example, if it takes 30 seconds every time on Monday....is it down to 25 seconds a few days later with adequate practice?  I know, lame...I'm, an accountant married to an engineer - what can I say)

I'm so sorry that all of you have had this awful pain, however, am so thankful you posted here and am happy to know I am not alone.  This has been so incredibly discouraging this last week.

Offline DebbieCJ

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 11
Hi Vero,
Really sorry to hear this was so severe for you - I was fortunate not to experience this blood rush feeling. I was doing calf pumps at every opportunity in the early days so this may have helped.
How are you doing now?

Debbie
2008 steroid injections, Bilateral arthroscopy
2012 bilateral arthroscopy, cartilage biopsy
2013 MACI (patella), Fulkerson and lateral release march 15th

Offline gottarun13

• Regular Poster
All your advice, responses and prior posts to each other have helped alot.  Good read!!!

So, in the idea that more movement means getting rid of this insane pain sooner...I have been standing up every hour for as long as I can, putting some weight on the right leg.  I've spent more time up on my legs today than I have the past 8 days.  Thank you!!!!!!  I don't expect every day to go well, but this gave me more encouragement than I've had in a week....THANK YOU!!!  I hope all of you are well on your road to recovery.

I'm on day 8 post-op  ;D

Offline gottarun13

• Regular Poster
Vero:
How are you doing with your blood rush pain??  I've been forcing myself to get up and deal with it for about  8 days now and it has improved significantly.  I hope yours has subsided substantially.

Karen

support