Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL graft failure?  (Read 1004 times)

Offline wattsdan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL graft failure?
« on: February 15, 2013, 01:14:51 PM »
Hello all

I am new to the forum so please be gentle with me.

I had my ACL reconstructed (using the hamstring) about a year ago and it has never felt 100% right and in the last week has been very painful and a lump has come up on the inside of my knee just above the longer scar. I originally injured it about 15 years ago and have had four ops including the reconstruction.

Has anyone had a graft fail on them and what did you experience? I haven't done anything to cause it and I can't think what else could be going on in there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: ACL graft failure?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 08:01:58 AM »
Hey Dan sorry your having problems with the acl recon but join the club, unfortunately failure  happens....not that I am saying this is your problem cos you really need to get it checked out by a professional but when mine failed there was no injury or suddenly extra pain, more like a feeling of things not being quite right, increasing pain and it just felt more wobbly than it had, my failure was caused by my tunnel placement, and I have since had a bone graft in the tunnels and I am waiting to see if the bone has incorporated before I have the acl reconstructed again,
As for the lump you have felt sorry I cant help with that I never had anything like that but do wonder if it could be anything to do with the screw that has been used to secure the graft, dont really know if where you describe as feeling the lump is anywhere near the site of the screw but its just a thought.
My advice is go see your surgeon or even your physio and have it checked out and let us all know how things go.
Take care Tez     
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

support