Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Am I just healing or did something get missed by dr  (Read 624 times)

Offline Jbriss

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Am I just healing or did something get missed by dr
« on: February 13, 2013, 06:54:35 PM »
So I hyperextended my knee almost 2 weeks ago. The same knee I had previously partially torn my ACL in over a year ago.  Was in to see dr on Monday because although I can limp on it, I do experience a sharp stabbing pain deep inside knee when it's bent, walking downhill or downstairs. Now to add more fun it keeps feeling like something is catching in there. Dr said he doesn't feel there are any issues with ACL or meniscus this time. He did say it will hurt more this time because he had scoped me last year and cleaned up some rough cartilage.  What would cause the catching feeling if nothing is wrong in there? Is it just because injury is relatively new and it could still have some swelling?

I was told to give it a month and return to dr if still having issues. Any insight?

Thanks.

Offline kimb

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
Re: Am I just healing or did something get missed by dr
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:21:03 PM »
Just because he didn't note anything with the acl or meniscus doesn't mean something else isn't wrong. If something is catching it could be because you torn cartilage and it's getting caught in the knee. That happened to me but I could tell very well that something was floating in there and getting caught. And sometimes the piece would float to the outside of the joint where I could feel it and then poke it back under the ligaments. It could also just be a result of the mechanics not being quite right after hurting it. I can't imagine it would hurt much to RICE it but if it becomes obvious something is in your knee or if your knee is locking up, I wouldn't wait a month to be re-seen. I was told after my first visit that I had a minor sprain and to come back in 3 weeks. I waited about 5 days and it was quite obvious that it was not a minor injury, so I went back and was scheduled for an MRI. If you feel something is wrong, don't wait too long. Loose bodies can cause other problems if that is what it is. For what it's worth, I had (and still have) the same pain in the knee when squatting, going down stairs or lifting the leg from sitting to extended. Mine was/is a cartilage injury.