Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Kneecap popping out post surgery, what is normal??  (Read 533 times)

Offline kimb

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
Kneecap popping out post surgery, what is normal??
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:37:32 PM »
I had surgery on Jan 28 in order to remove a loose body that was a result of my dislocating my kneecap. My recovery and rehab is going pretty well, I have no restrictions and almost full ROM back. Working on strength in the VOM before I get reevaluated in 6 weeks. I do have a call in to the OS office but sometimes it takes 3 days for them to call back so I am curious what ya'll think.

I can still feel the knee cap slipping, or popping in certain circumstances. Going down the stairs, it happens often so I have given up going down stairs normally for now. Sometimes I can just feel it move slightly with a light pop but other times the pop is more significant and I can feel it much more. No pain though. I am concerned with whether this is normal, or if I should be taping or bracing that knee. I assume this is due to stretching of a ligament(s) from the injury but I don't know if I should expect that ever to tighten up on it's own or not. I am guessing IF it does, it'll take months. So I am a bit concerned about causing further cartilage damage with the kneecap seeming to want to pop out and move around a bit. Just wondering what other's experiences has been. Also, can a brace for such a thing be had over the counter or do I need to get a prescription type of one?

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: Kneecap popping out post surgery, what is normal??
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 09:02:01 PM »
This is a tricky question that really only time can tell. A brace, in my opinion wouldn’t hurt as it may give you a little more confidence in the knee, at least until you start building up a little more strength? But some docs are against them as they theorize they become a 'crutch' and prohibit you from regaining full strength. An over the counter sleeve may be enough to help you out in the short term… Not sure if it would actually help with tracking. I’d look for one with the “patella hole” in it, that’s probably the best you could do over the counter. You could also try some McConnell taping, I personally always really like that.

Research all says that in first time dislocation, rehab and strengthening work for most people. I hope you are most people. A loss of quad strength, etc can definitely cause things to feel unstable.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening