Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 1.5 years post op, strange problems...  (Read 632 times)

Offline Jesi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
1.5 years post op, strange problems...
« on: February 11, 2013, 07:02:40 AM »
Hi Everyone, new here not sure where to post this..

I ruptured my left ACL with a lateral meniscus tear in July 2011. I had arthroscopic surgery using an allograft and a meniscus repair in September 2011. Long rehab of course blah blah, for the most part my knee is okay, I haven't gotten back all the muscle size in my quad/calf but I got pretty close.  That being said I've been having a few problems as of about 5 months ago...

1) Lying on my right side, and raising my left leg upward/outward laterally will sometimes cause a sharp pinch in my knee on the lateral side... usually happens when I'm in bed (fairly frequently I can predict when this will happen based on the angle I'm laying).

2) Sometimes running up the stairs, I will feel the same super sharp pinch when I land on my left leg on a step, like something is shifting or sliding, no noise or popping, just sharp pain followed by dull ache for a few minutes (and freaking me out).

3) When I do really strenuous activity, for instance, dancing pretty hard in some high heeled boots, I will get a moderate colored bruise just under my knee cap closer to the lateral side of my tibia the next day, like something was bleeding, I'm not sure either that or I'm running into tables and not realizing it. lol But this has happened at least twice now from the same activity.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this? Or something like this? 

I went to an ortho surgeon about the pinching I felt while running up stairs a few months ago, and the most he could tell me based on a standard assessment was that my knee was slightly more lax than my right, but otherwise the allograft seemed in tact and not to worry about it unless it inhibits motion, which it doesn't, just causes random sharp pains and potential bruising? I'm just wondering if this is just the way my knee will always be, or if anyone has had this happen and if it went away...

Any help would be great as it keeps happening and I'm wondering whether I should be worried, or just ignore it and be okay with random pain for the rest of my life (which was explained to me when I injured it lol).

Offline Hiker girl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
Re: 1.5 years post op, strange problems...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 08:12:31 PM »
Look into fat pad impingement/Hoffa pad.
Rt. knee pain while hiking 08/10
Saw GP 04/11
PT 05/11  failed
MRI  clean 06/11
1st OS, nothing wrong, fired him.
2nd OS, cortisone shot 12/11 
Scope 05/12, fat pad impingement, cleaned and reshaped.
3rd and 4th OS think nerve problem
Nerve study June 2012, Femoral nerve damage

support