Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Traveling after Surgery  (Read 1257 times)

Offline claus6778

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Traveling after Surgery
« on: February 10, 2013, 10:18:37 AM »
Hello everyone,

Sorry I have one more question about traveling after surgery.  There are quite a few people who fly back to their home states in the same week after major knee surgery. (open knee).

I always thought that it is not a good idea to travel after surgery at least for a couple weeks. Just wondering what you guys think.

Thank you.
roger

Offline kimb

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
Re: Traveling after Surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 04:58:10 PM »
I would assume this varies by person, surgery, and circumstance and that a doctor would generally approve, or not, of someone flying soon after surgery. I would think that a person who just had surgery would have to be that much more careful of DVT than the average person. Care can most certainly be taken for people to travel safely. People frequently travel to other states to have particular procedures done and unless absolutely necessary per the surgeon, I think it's a lot to ask for someone recovering from surgery to stay in a hotel for 2 weeks.

Offline guam

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
  • I hate knee problems
    • for anything fokai
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 09:36:32 PM »
with layovers, I did about 23 hours of traveling 4 days after surgery and it was definitely some scary and anxiety filled flights.  it's not something I would recommend so soon after surgery, but if you're gonna do it, take all precautions.

it's been awhile, but if I remember right, my doc made sure I wore my compression stocking, had my air cast, and took aspirin to thin the blood.  on top of that, request for an exit row so you can stretch your legs and just keep pumping those ankles to keep the blood pumping. 

here's a good article below
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1486833
9/2007: diagnosis: discoid lat. meniscus with tear-rk
10/2007: part. lat. menisectomy-rk.- failure
5/2008: fix previous surgery
2/2010: diagnosed with discoid lat. meniscus with tear-lk
5/2010: partial lat. meniscectomy-lk
11/2011: scope on rt. knee. diagnosis: varus knee
12/2011: HTO

Offline smartdriver

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 12:55:51 PM »
on top of that, request for an exit row so you can stretch your legs

Most airlines will not allow you to sit in an exit row if you've had wheelchair assistance or have any type of brace, cast, crutches, etc. due to safety reasons and the "responsibility" of being in an exit row.  You can call the airline and request a bulkhead seat as those are generally reserved for this reason.  That's why they normally show up as booked as the airline holds those seats.

Offline guam

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
  • I hate knee problems
    • for anything fokai
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 10:11:31 AM »
sorry. you're right. bulkhead seating, not exit row. thanks for the correction
9/2007: diagnosis: discoid lat. meniscus with tear-rk
10/2007: part. lat. menisectomy-rk.- failure
5/2008: fix previous surgery
2/2010: diagnosed with discoid lat. meniscus with tear-lk
5/2010: partial lat. meniscectomy-lk
11/2011: scope on rt. knee. diagnosis: varus knee
12/2011: HTO

Offline greatfulgann

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 10:19:59 PM »
The only issue with flying might be possible blood clots and they can give you medicine for that.  Utilize wheelchair assistance at the airport!

Offline RLE

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 02:45:46 AM »
The bulkhead is roomier than 1st class-I flew both. I loaded up on painkillers and stood up and walked a bit as often as I was able and I had a 12 hour trip. It's not fun but it's doable.
Accident 2011: permanent dislocation, hole under the patella, bone fragments/debris embedded, scar tissue, 3 torn ligaments, fracture, cartilage sheared off, contracture,
2011 MUA
PT on-going
2012 MPFL reconstruction,TTT
        TTT
        Lateral lengthenin
        Arthroscopy/clean out
Thx Dr. T

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 01:32:34 PM »
I flew 6 days post-op from my derotation and TTT surgery with no issue, except for that part where it sucks to be on a plane for hours with a post-op leg. I flew 2 days post-op hardware removal with no issue.

I was on a blood thinner after the first surgery and just aspirin after the second. Wore compression stockings. Used on ice on the plane as necessary for pain, and took a couple pain meds before hand.

An adult beverage on the the flight might help too, if that's your thing (shhhh!). :-D

Tip: if you can swing first class, go for it, otherwise bulkhead seating like guam suggested. Sit with your surgical leg on the window so you don't have to deal with people getting up back and forth over you, or that pesky drink cart coming down the aisle and whacking you. Try to get up and move around often if you can.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

support