Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Surgery in the Winter Months  (Read 1594 times)

Offline claus6778

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Surgery in the Winter Months
« on: February 09, 2013, 06:24:01 AM »
Hello everyone,

Do people generally avoid knee surgeries in the winter because of the cold temperature?

I am just wondering if there are any adverse effects from having surgeries in the winter?

thank you.
roger

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Surgery in the Winter Months
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:25:02 AM »
I had both my arhroscopies in the winter. It was the right time to do the first one (Feb)and for the second one (dec) I wanted to be ready to start cycling again the spring. I don't think my recovery was affected by the weather. I can imagine if you live in a snowy place and need to go outside on crutches, then spring or summer might be safer!
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 05:19:19 PM »
Hi

I have had my arthroscopies in March and December, and a HTO in November where I was on crutches for some weeks. The only way it has effected me was I didn't want to go out on my crutches in the snow, because I was afraid if I slipped I would make matters worse.

Any other reasons never crossed my mind.

WD

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 05:34:36 PM »
I don't think the cold has any effect on things - as said slipping on ice on crutches is an issue but in honesty I'd probably prefer an op whne it is cold to blazing heat when you can't get comfortable and your swelling gets worse! I had foot surgery in an April UK heatwave, my foot went crackers swelling wise and I am sure the heat didn't help matters!  :P
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline lbest

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 06:00:34 PM »
Hi Roger,

I agree with everyone else. I haven't had any problems at all with having knee surgery in winter months. The only issue I came across is the issue that others have said, problems with ice and snow and living in Scotland there is normally a lot of ice and snow during the winter therefor it means I was stuck at home till it all went away.

Good luck with your surgery whenever you get it, Hope all goes well! X

Offline kimb

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 03:27:45 AM »
I live in one of the most wintery areas around (far northern MN, our winter lasts 6-7 months) and far prefer surgery now than surgery in say, June. It is trickier to get around on crutches outside, so if that is something you have to do often, you have to be extra careful. Ice, snow, uneven ground and slush are all horribly slippery for crutches. Also, if you cannot get a proper shoe or boot on, it's much trickier in winter versus warmer weather when you can just slip on something that is much easier. But overall, because we have so little nice weather here, I'd rather give up a few months of winter than summer, for sure. I had surgery in January. Perfect timing. We had -30F weather the whole week after, I spent a lot of time doing new puzzles, reading, and other quiet activities. I don't feel like I am missing out on anything, which is a big plus for me.

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 10:30:44 PM »
Like kimb, I live in MN, so winters drag on and summers are short. I generally avoid having procedures done in the summer, as for me, that's the height of training and racing season...as well as boating/fishing/camping season. I prefer early fall, right after the close of racing, b/c then I'm usually back on my feet--or w/out crutches by the time the snow falls.

I had my DFO in January, but that was fine, b/c I was laid up until April (on bed rest through most)...so I missed winter and going outside altogether. My recent HWR was at the beginning of Jan. and it's tricky now that I'm trying to move about a bit more. The cold isn't a big deal, but the footing is. I'm lucky that I've been able to work from home, and I really don't leave unless i have to, as it's a PITA.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline margret

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 03:58:03 AM »
Ice! Snow! I saw worse injuries than mine (and I was hit by a truck) in people who simply slipped on ice while they were fully able-bodied. Imagine how much worse an ordinary ice-slip injury could be if you slip and fall on a delicate postsurgical leg, and imagine how much more likely it is as you're dazed on drugs and maneuvering yourself on 2 pretty unfamiliar pegs.

My surgeries have always been urgent, and the urgent need has always been discovered not only in winter, but just before a blizzard... My condition's never really stabilized, so I have a perspective on rehabbing in all seasons. I agree that rehab in the heat is unpleasant, but rehab in the snow and ice is terrifying at best (if you get out), and imprisoning at worst (if conditions are too dangerous outside).

That said, it also depends on your course of rehab (how long on bed rest, how long on crutches/braces/devices), and on how easy it is to get from home to transport to the places where you work, rehab, etc.

support