Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL Rehab Progression  (Read 560 times)

Offline rnm37

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
ACL Rehab Progression
« on: February 07, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am a 19 year old male now just over 9 weeks post acl recon and recovery is fortunately going pretty good. I have full extension and flexion and have been jogging lightly (with the green light from my physio) for the last 2 weeks. Only slight issue has been a bit of stubborn swelling on the medial side causing my knee cap to maltrack a bit (some impressive cracking sounds but no pain at all)

The reason for this post is just to ask if anyone could share with me some intermediate/advanced rehab exercises that aided their recovery? I am currently doing everything on the program my physio has made for me, which comprises; stationary bike, jog/walking, lunges, leg press, sidestepping, hamstriing curls, calf press and also lots of time spent trying not to fall off the wobble board (im getting better at it :))
This seems to be a decent program for me at the moment but would welcome any new ideas/advice from you guys.

Cheers!

Ross
June 2012 - ACL rupture and lateral meniscus tear

December 2012 - ACL recon (hamstring autograft) and meniscus trim

October 2013 - Retore ACL and tore medial meniscus :(!

January 2014 - Revision ACL recon (hamstring)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: ACL Rehab Progression
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 06:02:49 AM »
The reason for this post is just to ask if anyone could share with me some intermediate/advanced rehab exercises that aided their recovery?

I'm afraid that this is a really bad idea. ACL rehab is a marathon, not a sprint; your physio's program will be specifically designed around balancing regaining strength and mobility with protecting the healing graft. At 9 weeks out of surgery, the healing process isn't nearly done. The graft itself will still be in the process of revascularizing (developing its own blood supply) and gaining strength, and the bone will be healing in around the fixation points. Moving on to exercises that aren't on your current program could put either the graft itself or the fixation points in jeopardy.

You're at what I remember being one of the most frustrating points of rehab, when your leg and knee feel better but activity is still restricted. Please, please don't be tempted to do things that aren't on the program your PT has prescribed. The progress of ACL rehab depends on a variety of different things; your own healing ability is one of these, but the graft type and fixation in particular are incredibly important. Sure, you might try a new exercise and find it's perfectly fine...but you might also try something and find that it undoes all the work you've done to get to this point. And you really don't want to have to go through the surgery again.

If you're feeling capable of more than you're doing right now, talk to your PT about what else is reasonable at this stage in recovery. Do not base your next steps on advice you receive on the Internet. Absolutely, we can share things that worked well for us during our recoveries - but that doesn't mean that they're the right thing for you to be doing at this point. Only a professional who knows you and your knee can tell you that.

Good luck with the rest of your recovery - it sounds like it's going really well so far, which is awesome. :)
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline rnm37

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
Re: ACL Rehab Progression
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 05:35:21 PM »
Sorry, you are right, and thank you for your advice!

Having re-read my post I feel I might have misrepresented myself. I am not looking to jump the gun with my rehab or a quick fix etc, I just wanted to see what sort of things people were doing at this stage to see if they could offer any advice. Although I accept the actual exercises you do must always be tailored to you personally!
I imagine by 9 weeks most people have realised bravado cannot overcome biology :P

Thanks once again
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 05:37:19 PM by rnm37 »
June 2012 - ACL rupture and lateral meniscus tear

December 2012 - ACL recon (hamstring autograft) and meniscus trim

October 2013 - Retore ACL and tore medial meniscus :(!

January 2014 - Revision ACL recon (hamstring)

support