Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteoarthritis next step advise for 30 year old  (Read 9569 times)

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Osteoarthritis next step advise for 30 year old
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 07:08:08 PM »
Get another opinion. Some surgeons will consider replacement parts at a younger age - if there is nothing else that can be done. Our postman has just had a full knee replacement at the age of 38 after trashing his knee through years of martial arts. On the NHS. There are things that can help, such as the visco injections and PT and all the conservative methods....BUT with bone on bone you may be past that. I can't recall what compartments your OA is in - patella plus others? If only patella a PFJR may be an option but the NHS don't have many people who like them/can do them.

Stick to your guns, this doesn't have to be your life for the next 40 years, no way.

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 411
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 08:08:26 AM »
Where are you in the UK - perhaps someone can recommend an OS to you.  There are a number of younger posters who have had similar issues at an early age.  There are orthopaedic centres of excellence around the country - Oswestry, Middlesex, Birmingham etc

If the surgeon has an NHS and private practice, you could pay for a private consultation (normally around 200) and then, if surgery is indicated, get referred to the NHS list.

I have success with the viscosupplementation jabs but the indications where success can be anticipated is quite restricted according to my OS.

Don't give up, there are some excellent and understanding doctors out there, might just take a while to find the right one.

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline bizzylizzie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 11:21:49 PM »
Thank you, your replies have cheered me up and given me some fight back. I am off to see my own doctor tomorrow to see if I can be referred again. Fingers crossed!
Brams you've hit the nail on the head, I would def prefer to live my life now not in 30 years time, my children wont quite need their mummy in the same way then!
Vickster I live in Norwich although I was being seen in Bury St Edmunds not Norwich as my own doctor wanted it sped up. My family live in Oswestry, I didnt realise that was a centre of excellence. Shame I cant be seen there!
Lottie I think the main damage in my patellofemoral joint although I'm not entirely sure if damage else where too as my consultant was not big on detail or specifics!
Anyway am not going to accept that there is nothing at all that can be done and a second opinion is my next goal! Thank you all.

Offline bizzylizzie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 11:25:10 PM »
PS Brams I hope you've had a better day today!

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 11:34:40 PM »
Thanks bizzylizzie  :)

If your consultant wasn't good at detail  ::) then I'd suggest you request your notes from the NHS and then you can read them yourself. It does take a few weeks, but you are entitled to them and it can be very revealing! You can also request your X-rays and MRIs. Your consultant really hasn't done a great job in terms of information...

No change here, knee still fat, painful and unstable. Grr!

Have a good day tomorrow and I hope you get some decent sleep tonight.

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline bizzylizzie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 07:51:20 PM »
Oooh can I do that then?

My own doc today has referred me to another consultant, he very much didnt agree with the 1st ones opinion! So guess now will wait and see if they agree to see me. But feel very much more positive that at least there is some light ahead!

But can I request my notes at the same time? Do you receive a copy of them or will this effect the new consultant getting them? Would be good to see them before I saw another consultant so I could go in a bit less clueless! Don't want to slow down the process of getting referred though as sure it will already take a far while!

Sorry that your knee is still bad, Would like to say something constructive to help but sure there is little I can say to help! Hope it eases up a bit though, bloody knees!

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 11:00:39 PM »
 :D Yes you can order them whenever you like, it shouldn't affect your appointments etc. Just ring the main reception at your hospital and ask them to put you through to the department where you can request your notes. They then send you a form to complete and return. From there it can take up to 6 weeks. There is a charge, images cost more obviously, think I paid about 20 total for loads of stuff.

Glad your doc proactive and referring you again, wish mine was like that  :-\

Knee worse tonight, can't take any force at all. Crumbs, scary stuff. Have a good night yourself.

Brams. :D
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)