Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: A few questions (7mo post-op tibial plateau fx)  (Read 1126 times)

mark_mit

A few questions (7mo post-op tibial plateau fx)
« on: January 15, 2004, 02:54:37 PM »
I fell at work 6-25-03, resulting in a spiral fracture of my left tibia, and a 'collapsed' (Dr's word) tibial plateau.

I had an external fixator for 2mo, then had HW installed.  Runs the length of my tibia, with 13+ pins attaching it to the bone.

My OS, PT, and I are fairly impressed with my recovery thus far.  My OS is talking about MMI early Feb or March.

My question is, I have essentially constant clicking sensations in the knee when it's moving under load and occasional pops like a knuckle crack at rest.  Any idea what this is and does it go away?

It's not painful, but it is annoying and a bit disconcerting.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: A few questions (7mo post-op tibial plateau fx
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 07:45:01 AM »
The clicking could be due to a lot of things--what does your doctor say?  Often, there is scar tissue that forms when you have an injury this severe--it is like big rubber bands, and can cause clicking, snapping, grinding, and so forth.  There could be a chondral defect, or a place on the bone where the fracture occurred that did not heal completely smoothly (also called a chondral flap).  It could just be that the muscles around your knee aren't back to full strength yet, and so your kneecap isn't tracking properly in its groove yet.

The point is that your doctor, who has been inside your knee, is the best one to help you figure out what's going on.  If you can't see him/her, then what about a physical therapist to help assess your knee strength and tracking.

You may want to do some research on your condition.  The cracking and popping you are feeling/hearing is called crepitus, and I believe it's pretty common after a fracture like yours.

Finally, check out the bone breaks around the knee section below--you are in very good company.  

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 112
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: A few questions (7mo post-op tibial plateau fx
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 02:12:08 PM »
This thread seems particularly relevant: