Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help With Symptoms I'm Having  (Read 1168 times)

Offline j1trip11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Help With Symptoms I'm Having
« on: January 15, 2004, 09:57:43 AM »
About a year and a half ago, I was skateboarding (specifically jumping down a set of 8 stairs about 25-30 times) and I didn't even notice any problem that day until i tried to skate the next day. I could not bend down to the floor because my knee was so inflammed. After rest and then PT, my knee is always sore or inflammed and when i straighten my knee comletely and then bend it slightly, I feel a thump almost grinding. Also, I still cannot squat down without it hurting really bad. The doc's keep saying that nothing is wrong and that strengthening the knee is all I need but that doesn't seem to be working. Anyone have anything similar to this or does anyone know what can be wrong with my knee...it's getting a little irritating!!

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Help With Symptoms I'm Having
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 04:48:47 PM »
Have you any diagnostic tests such as x-rays, CT scan or MRI?  Are you seeing an orthopedic surgeon or a GP?
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline j1trip11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 03:56:08 AM »
Just an X-ray but nothing was found wrong and I'm just saw an ordinary doctor.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 04:32:49 AM »
I think your next step would be getting a referral to an orthopedic surgeon.  They will be able to better evaluate your knee and select an appropriote course of treatment.  GP's have very little orthopedic training and generally have no idea how to deal with an  injury such as yours.  

From your description it sounds like you have some sort of patella-femoral issues.  The grinding could be from chondromalacia (softening of the cartilage on the underside of the patella).  Squatting is an activity that can cause some PF loading which can cause pain.  It's really hard to say without examening your knee what is going on.  I think further tests should be in order to rule out obvious problems such as a ligament or mensicus tear.  X-rays are good at showing bones and alignment but not soft tissue  structures.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 112
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 02:14:12 PM »
You might also have traumatised a plica.
--
KNEEguru

support