Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Alisson's MACI Surgery :)  (Read 26824 times)

Offline AlissonAus

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Alisson's MACI Surgery
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2012, 05:52:29 AM »
Hi everybody!  :)

I haven't been on here in ages! I was super busy with exam revision and exams the last couple of weeks, and just finished my last exam last night. So happy it's over! It was crazy hard work to keep up with uni work (I'm in my final year) and handle this operation and all the ups and downs that went with it! Let's see what's new since the last time I've posted. I saw my OS again since my last post, he's pretty happy with me, I'm seeing him again in 4 weeks. I've had no knee pain which has been fantastic. My ROM isn't too great though, we can't really seem to get past 100 degrees. I hope it will come with time. It's been 5 months since the surgery so I think it's still early. My scar looks great! Haha I noticed in the weekn that it changes colour when the temprature get's colder! When it's cold out my scar becomes a dark vivid purple, and when its warmer its pink. Really gross actually haha.

Only problem I've been having are my ankles. They swell up like balloons at night and they really hurt!! I'll ask my OS about it when i see him next, I'm not too worried it's just annoying. Other than that I'm great. My life is pretty much back to normal!

John how are you doing? Have you ditched the crutches?

Have a great day everybody  :D
Left knee arthroscopy 2011
MACI Procedure 2012

Offline kneeproblems:(

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Alisson's MACI Surgery :)
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2012, 04:54:09 PM »
Hey Alisson,

Yes I'm finally off the crutches, got told to start walking again normally about 2 weeks ago. It was suprisingly easy, the only problem I experienced was my left foot being a bit sore for a few days. Apart from that I'm still doing gym work, swimming and exercise bike cycling. The main issue I'm having at the moment is my knee is still very stiff (especially after a night's sleep or sitting down for a while) and wont straighten fully. My physio gave me some new exercises to try to hopefully get it fully straight the other day when I saw him so hopefully after a week or two of doing them it will sort itself out. I had been warned about this happening due to my history of a previous ACL recon on the knee so this problem has not caught me fully by suprise but it is still quite annoying.

Good to hear that you have no knee pain and that most things are going well. Hopefully your ROM will return with time, shame about your ankles have you ever had trouble with them before?

All the best for further recovery,

John

Offline AlissonAus

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2012, 09:57:11 AM »
John: I'm so happy to heat you are doing so well! Keep it up  :)

Hey everyone.

So it's been almost 6 months since my MACI. I saw my OS today and he was very happy with my left knee.

However, the last few weeks (actually months) my good leg, the right one has been acting up. Feeling very stiff and sore and a bit like the left one used to be. Then about 3 weeks ago whenever I bend my knee this weird bump pops out from under my patella, and when I straigten my knee you can see it jump back under the kneecap. I didn't really think about it too much, my leg has been painful but I've just told myself it's overuse. My OS was not happy with that bump though, and when he looked at the knee he wasn't happy with the amount of crunching in the knee. So he called and made an appointment for me to have a MRI scan first thing Monday morning to see what is going on. I've been so down ever since the appointment this arvo, I just feel like crying. But on the bright side, things with the operated leg looks great and the joint glides so smoothly :)

Enjoy the rest of the week people :)

A
MACI Procedure 2012

Offline AlissonAus

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2012, 12:08:15 PM »
Hey guys

So my left knee is been doing great. My right knee not so much. I'm really down about it. As many of you might have seen I also started a new thread titled "What could have caused my cartilage damage" and I'll post my newest message from that thread on here to to get as many opinions as possible :)

"Hey peeps

So these past two weeks I've been stressing about my knee and the pending results. I have read up like crazy about cartilage damage, and what can cause spontaneous cartilage damage, so I have a crazy question. Could my damage be caused by rheumatoid arthritis? Because I do sometimes suffer from stiffness and pain in my other joints as well but it's they have never been as bad as my knees. What is more, I found out my grandad and my uncle suffer from this. I never knew it but these last couple of weeks I've delved into my family's medical history. I am seeing my doctor in a week, but I am very keen to hear any possible thoughts on this idea"

Thanx guys  :)

A x
MACI Procedure 2012

Offline sune

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2012, 11:34:24 AM »
dear Allison.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. In two months, I will undergo MACI and TTT, and I'm really concerned about it… My reasons for doing it, is to be able to lead a more active life. I'm 38, and I'm not able to do any sports except very light exercise on a stationary bike for about 10-15 min. ...it's so light that I don't feel my pulse really increasing, it's about 100 bpm. Concerning activities of daily living: I do feel constrained, having to think about how much walking I can do (typically about 1-2 km in a stretch), and still I frequently have light to moderate pain.
Given your experience, would you consider these reasons not worth the risk/recovery?

Sune
1999: Chondral lesion on medial patellar facet. Synovium changes, grade II degeneration of neighbouring cartilage. Debridement (shaving) and lavage.
2009: 2nd arthroscopy,  debridement (shaving) and lavage.
2010: steroid injections
2012: MACI (2 patella, 1 trochlea)+Fulkerson+Lateral release

Offline AlissonAus

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2012, 08:07:34 AM »
Hi Sune

I am terribly sorry for my late reply. This is the first time in months that I've come on this board. I guess you already underwent your surgery? How are you coping? Given my personal experience the MACI was worth every second of the pain and discomfort that I had to endure. I am now only 10 months post op but my entire life has changed. I could not do anything at all before my operation. The simplest things caused me extreme pain, swelling and discomfort. Now I can easily spend an hour on my bike and (stationary and riding my bike outside, something I haven't done in years) I swim everyday, I walk everywhere. The only thing is my knee still gets very stiff after sitting down for a long period of time. Other than that I seriously have no complaints. It was worth it for me. We are even considering a MACI on my right knee sometime next year. I really hope you are doing well, please let me know how you are doing. Again so sorry for not responding earlier.

John, if you are still one here...how are you doing??

Ally
MACI Procedure 2012

Offline sune

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2012, 11:21:18 AM »
Hi Alison.

No worries, I'm glad you replied anyway. I'm three weeks and a couple of days postop now, and everything has gone fine so far. The surgery went well (I have a diary which I misplaced in the >50 posts category), and I have not had any significant pain. Some pain, but nothing serious. I think the worst pain has probably been from my hips/groin/upper thigh area, I don't know if it's a side effect of the nerve block or if it's because the way I use those muscles… It sounds like you had something similar. It makes it a bit difficult for me to do the forward SLR, kind that causes pain in that area, not really in the knee… Likewise, if I make a wrong turn in the bed at night… Ouch.
It's really great to hear how much you are able to do now!!! It's inspirational, and it gives me hope that I will do equally well!!!
Best,
Sune
1999: Chondral lesion on medial patellar facet. Synovium changes, grade II degeneration of neighbouring cartilage. Debridement (shaving) and lavage.
2009: 2nd arthroscopy,  debridement (shaving) and lavage.
2010: steroid injections
2012: MACI (2 patella, 1 trochlea)+Fulkerson+Lateral release

Offline AlissonAus

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2013, 03:53:03 PM »
Hey everyone!

I am a year and two weeks post op, and things are amazing. I just came back from a month long holiday in South Africa and had the best time. I was really worried about the two long flights (8 hours from Brisbane to Hong Kong and then 13 hours from Hong Kong to Johannesburg). My knee was perfect. The sitting did not influence it at all. Was really active throughout the entire holiday. I've been wearing high heels again something I used to do three years before the surgery. Saw my OS just before I went overseas and have been cleared to only see him anually for the left knee. In February we will talk about the right knee which as I've mentioned before is starting to go down hill a bit. Nothing serious yet though.

Sune; if you are reading this how are you going with your recovery?

All the best people

A x
MACI Procedure 2012

Offline thegaul

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2013, 06:06:02 PM »
Alison

Where did you go - you only got to week 6 ?

I am due for my maci in 7 weeks

And your diary is so informative how did things go ?

Good I hope !

Smiles

support