Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Jamezys PCL Reconstruction  (Read 5052 times)

Offline Jamezy88

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Jamezys PCL Reconstruction
« on: January 28, 2013, 10:18:33 AM »
Hi all as theres not alot of PCL stories here i thought i'd start one. Sorry about the long beginning post.

I'm a 24 year old Uni (college) student from South Australia. I'm studing agriculture and im from a farming background i also play Aussie rules football, field hockey and quite a few other sports just for fun.

Around about 12 weeks ago i got knocked off my dirtbike by a grumpy cow and landed rather forcefully on my right knee. It was quite painfull for about 10 mins and swelled up something shocking. I was working in a pretty romote area and had another 4 weeks of work to go on the property i was working on. So i hoped that i had just strained my knee and decided to just work through it, which i managed to do i could still ride a motorbike, and i could walk around and work in the cattle yards with my knee just being a little clicky. I found the hardest thing to doo was pull my boots on and to get changed in and out of my jeans.

So after i got home from the property i was working on my knee still was right and was still swollen this was 6 weeks after the fall. So i went to my dr's and got a referral onto an OP. He though that i probably had a bit of meniscus damage and maybe some damage to my medial ligament. He sent me off for an MRI and himself and i where both surprised to see it showed a complete or near complete tear of my PCL.

He said to me they are quite unusal and they don't see a lot of them. He also said in years gone by they would recommend to not have sugery because it's tricky but to do physio and build up the muscles  around the area. He also said if i was over 40 he probably would not recomment sugery. However he told me that methods have improved and because im young and im active in both sports and work that i would be better off to have it reconstructed.

He then said he can either do it using a graft from my hamstring or patella or using a synthetic ligament (LARS) he said he didnt like using synthetic grafts. So it's likely i will have the graft from my hamstring.

I have booked the sugery for early April where i have three weeks off  uni, before im gonna have to negotiate it on crutches. I'm lucky that im on a small campuses and the only stairs are easily avoided so hopefully i manage.

In the meantime im going to book an appointment with a physio this week to organise a program to strenghten up leg before sugery as im told this aids recovery.

I will update this closer to my sugery and let you know how the physio is going.

I hope that is all readable!
Cheers
Matty James

PS i just realised i posted this in the wrong diary thread, mods feel free to shift it to the under 50 post three. Sorry!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:21:23 AM by Jamezy88 »
Dec 5 2012 - Knocked off motorbike and injured right knee.

16th Jan 2013 - Diagnosed with a complete or near complete tear of my right PCL

8/4/2013 PCL reconstruction surgery by dr M.J.W Begg at Wakefield Hosplital Adelaide.

Follow my recovery with pictures at http://jamezy88.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Jamezy88

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Jamezys PCL Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 05:23:11 AM »
Well had my first appointment with my physio today. Said i already had quite good mucsle tone in my legs which should hopefully aid in my recovery after sugery.

Excersizes i have been given to do before my sugery are
 2*20 single leg squats

2*20 Single leg bridging

2*20 Wall squats using excersize ball

2*20 single leg calf raises

8/4/2013 PCL reconstruction surgery by dr M.J.W Begg at Wakefield Hosplital Adelaide.

Offline Jamezy88

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 05:39:16 AM »
Just over a week till my PCL reco, and my knee is feeling pretty good, i can do most things on it although going down stairs, running and hitting the D-floor gives me a bit of grief. However i do feel the physio and strength conditiong have made a massive diffence and hopefully this will aid in my recovery post op. My surgeon still thinks sugery is the way to go, to enable me to play footy again, and he says my knee is still very unstable the risk of injury other ligaments is greater.

I'll update this either just before or just after my sugery

Cheers
Jamezy

Offline Jamezy88

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 11:31:33 AM »
Well tommorows Surgery day!

I'd be tellin fibs if i said i wasnt starting to get a little nervouse, but at the same time im confident ive made the right descision and im commitied to giving the rehab 100%.

I've got mr self up to date with uni soo fingers crossed it all goes well :)

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 04:35:33 PM »
Good luck with the surgery and I wish you the speediest of recoveries!  :)

God BLess,

Misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI

Offline Jamezy88

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 07:30:50 AM »
Just home again after my sugery. The sugrey went well with my dr saying that my pcl was hanging on my a tiny strand.

Feeling surpisling good and pain free atm, and im lightly weighty bearing, although i think it may be the nerve block helping with that.

Dr's given me a few weeks to rest up pesore my follow up appointment and i start my rehab.

Cheers Jamezy!

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 04:14:04 PM »
Glad you came through the surgery well!! Make sure you stay on top of your meds for the first few days at least.  You don't want to get to comfortable thinking you will be pain free due to the nerve block, 'cause when it stops working BAM!!! it will hit you hard, most likely.  Better to be ahead of the game in pain meds then to be chasing the pain (which is then very hard to get under control).  Hopefully, you won't have much pain at all, ever  ;)

Stay patient, be diligent in your rest and pt, and you will be back to your life in no time.

God Bless!

Misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI

Offline Jamezy88

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 12:01:10 PM »
Well 4 days after surgery any everything seems to be going ok!

I'm still experiancing very little pain, it's only hamstrings and my calves that are a little sore.

I've got crutches however im able to get around alright with out them, putting pressure through my leg doesn't hurt too much, i'm just making sure i don't push it. i'm lucky ive got plenty of uni hw and study to do, so im not getting too bored yet, although im sure that will come

The hardest this to do atm is definetly showering and changing shorts an jocks.

Thanks for the advice and positive words as well mistyd.

Cheers

Offline Jamezy88

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 04:50:06 AM »
i've decided to start a blog on my progress here is the link

http://jamezy88.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Jamezy88

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 10:20:57 AM »
Two weeks down and everything is going pretty well, a little bit of swelling every now and then, especially when i walk around to much with out my crutches.

Still wearing my straight leg brace, which is beginning to annoy me a little me, as i said before being a tallish person not being able to bend my leg just makes the simple things difficult.

I've pretty much weaned my self off painkillers, and i'm only using crutches when i'm out and about, around home i'm pretty much off them. Only incident i've had so far was i tripped over the dog in the middle of the night, and fell backwards i did have a real sharp pain at the back of my lower leg/ knee, and it ached for a while, but no swelling so hopefully it was just my hamstrings playin up and not the graft.

I have another week of restin up and studyin for Uni, before i go back to my surgeon and get started on me physio/rehab. which i'm lookin forward too, 3 weeks on me backside will just about drive me nuts.

Cheers Jamezy

Offline chappers

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 04:49:51 PM »
A quick question if I may?

Did you have a lot of tibia sag before your operation and do you have any idea how the sag is now?

Cheers

Offline Jamezy88

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 01:47:42 AM »
G'day Chappers

I did have quite a big of sag, im not sure of the measurement, but my surgeon was more conserned with the amount of play/movement by tibia had. He basically said while it was only my pcl stuffed at this stage if wanted to play football on it again (aussie football) with lots of jumping, twisting etc, That id had up damiging or risking damaging other parts of my knee.

I had quite a party trick going when i could sit there and push my tibia back and forth use to give some people quite a fright.

I'm not sure on the sag now, i still can't bend it, i'll get a better idea, when i got back for my follow up next week.

Cheers

Offline chappers

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 08:05:34 AM »
Cheers dude,

Good luck with a speedy recovery. I am about two weeks ahead of you, but only an ACL recon as e OS elected to leave my PCL alone as only one of the bundles had ruptured. With the sag I have he is calling it a grade 1.5, so i am hoping to avoid more surgery, and on the plus side I don't want to play Aussie rules football, that game looks harder than rugby!

Choi,

Offline Jamezy88

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 10:16:58 AM »
3 weeks down

Well i had my first follow up appointment this morning, three weeks till the day.

My surgeon was happy with my progress removed my bandages (i;m impressed hardly a scare and gave my leg a bit of a bend, ohhh boy did that hurt!, was probably the most pain my knee has given me in three weeks. Also told me to throw away my crutches.

Had my brace switched over to a hinged one, with 90 degree range of motion, which i've got for a month.
Been walking on it around uni today, so it is a little sore and swollen tonight.

He also set me up for a physio appointment later this week, to start my exercises other then the leg raises the Surgeon gave me.

Will update this with my exercises when i get them.

Cheers Jamezy

Offline Jamezy88

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »
My physio has set me out with a number of excersise to do till i next see my surgeon these are

20 straight leg raises  20 times a day

3 sets of 10 twice a day, bent leg raises with the aid of a elastic band for resistance,

using a big excersise ball against a wall i'm doing 3 sets of 10 squats twice a day

and using a football inbetween my thighs i'm squeezing it with my thigh muscles for 30 seconds i'm doing this 10 times.

This is all with my brace still on.

I've also just started to drive again.

I'll update again next time i see my surgeon/physio

Cheers
Jamezy

Offline Jamezy88

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 09:58:38 AM »
Well it's been a while since i've updated this but here goes!

It's been 16 weeks since my PCL reconstruction, and bar a few hurdles everything is going really well.
I'm back in the gym doing leg weights, riding and using the cross trainer.

There have a been a few hurdles with pain or swelling here or there, but i'm now walkin normally, still being carefull with stairs and i'd not aloud to run as yet.

My physio's really happy with how i'm going and just wants me to focus on getting my leg muscles back.

I see my surgeon again for the last time in September, and will hopefully be back running over Summer.

Cheers Jamezy!