Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I need some perspective...please! s/p displaced patellar fracture  (Read 682 times)

Offline Chacha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello.  I'm new to writing on this board, but have been following along for the last 5 mos.  I'm a healthy, fit 52 year old that was doing Crossfit the morning prior to my fall - I'm used to pushing past the pain.  On Sept 7, 2012 I slipped and fell on a wet floor (at work) and broke my R patella in 2 pieces.  The appearance of my R knee was horrifying - I could see the 2 pieces each being pulled away by the quad/tendon and then scooped out in the middle.  Anyways, I had my ORIF with screws and wire wrapped in a figure 8 on 17 Sept.  After the first week post op I really didn't need any pain meds, just tylenol once in a while.  Anyways, recovery has been pretty uneventful, started PT approx 4 weeks post op.  I had my knee in a brace/full extension and was kind of dragging my leg and initiating the movement from my hip/groin with sitting, standing, rolling to my side in bed.  Anyways, as my recovery has progressed I have had gradually increasing hip, groin, R sided lower back pain and SI pain.  I have a pretty high pain tolerance and this pain can be horrible.  I can feel my SI joint pop/move, my R hip/leg just wants to rotate out.  Going from sit to stand and vice versa can be very painful - it takes my breath away.  The pain is so hard to localize but the whole joint (hip) feels...unstable.  The hip giving me troubles is the same side as my patellar fracture.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Next question...I'm 5 mos out from surgery.  I was off work completely until 2January.  I am a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, so it is a pretty physical job, walking, sitting, standing, pinning small children down to look in their ears.  My doc gave me 'sedentary duty' but it has been a daily struggle with my scheduling people to keep me in these restrictions.  What has been other's experiences when going back to work with a NON sedentary job.  I know full recovery is 12-36 mos but what are others doing as far as going back to work?
Thanks, I know patience is a virtue.  I have done so well and been very positive.  Only now, at 5 mos out, I find myself wanting to be 'fine' but I also don't want to push it.

Please help me get some perspective!!!!  thanks.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:53:55 PM by Chacha »

Offline RLE

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: I need some perspective...please! s/p displaced patellar fracture
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 02:43:31 AM »
I have a job like yours, I teach elementary. On my feet all day and I'm off for a year. Still in PT though. Your pain is a signal something is wrong.
Accident 2011: permanent dislocation, hole under the patella, bone fragments/debris embedded, scar tissue, 3 torn ligaments, fracture, cartilage sheared off, contracture,
2011 MUA
PT on-going
2012 MPFL reconstruction,TTT
        TTT
        Lateral lengthenin
        Arthroscopy/clean out
Thx Dr. T

Offline Chacha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: I need some perspective...please! s/p displaced patellar fracture
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 06:09:33 AM »
Oh man, that sounds terrible!  Are you back to work?
 I saw my Ortho today ( I love him as well) and he ordered MRI's of my knee and hip to r/o meniscus and hip labreal tear.  One step at a time...  I am not a patient person and used to just pushing thru the pain...