Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a knee consultant in or near Glasgow?  (Read 2877 times)

Offline lochussie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Can anyone recommend a knee consultant in or near Glasgow?
« on: January 27, 2013, 08:51:48 PM »
Hi guys.  I am looking for a second opinion on my knee.  My old patella fracture is giving me pain and the doc I have seen wants to cut it open and remove metal and smooth back of patella.  There are risks and the full recovery time is 6 months.  It is only giving me a little pain so I am not sure.  Possibly keyhole would be better.  Can anyone recommend somebody?
2003: fracture left patella into many pieces, put back together with pins and wire, regain full use
2012: start to get mild pain during activity

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Can anyone recommend a knee consultant in or near Glasgow?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:52:45 PM »
Tez27 is in Greenock, she should be able to help :)  You could also look at the list of knee surgeons in the information hub, they are listed geographically.  Or you could ask your GP

But first, you should ask your surgeon if there are any alternative options.  Explain your concerns to him about the procedure and the recovery time
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 08:58:32 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline rnm37

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:34:40 PM »
Hi locchussie,

Don't know if this is of any use to you but I recently had an acl recon at Gartnavel hospital in Glasgow, my surgeon was Dr Brian Rooney. He is regarded as one of the better knee doctors in the West of Scotland and my experience so far has backed this up! I imagine you would need a referral from your GP to the orthopaedic clinic at either the Western or Gartnavel to get a consultancy appoinment.

Hope you find someone that can help you!

Ross
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 10:36:56 PM by rnm37 »
June 2012 - ACL rupture and lateral meniscus tear

December 2012 - ACL recon (hamstring autograft) and meniscus trim

October 2013 - Retore ACL and tore medial meniscus :(!

January 2014 - Revision ACL recon (hamstring)

Offline ahenderson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 02:51:28 PM »
There are a couple of great consultants in Glasgow . Mr Blthye and Mr Jones are the surgeons I had my kinespring  fitted by.

Offline lochussie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  Leach, Rooney and Walker are names I have heard elsewhere.  Any more info would be greatly appreciated.
2003: fracture left patella into many pieces, put back together with pins and wire, regain full use

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 11:42:09 PM »
Hi Lochussie my surgeon works out of IRH in Greenock and sees private patients at Ross Hall in Glasgow I have every confidence in him, His name is Martin Buchan, I have also had surgery from a Mr Seigmouth at the Golden Jubilee in Clydebank, and even though I didn't have a good result from that op I have heard from others he has a good reputation
I hope this helps a bit, at least it gives you another couple of names to check out

L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline lochussie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 05:24:43 PM »
Thanks a lot tez27, I'll look into those names.

Offline lbest

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 08:32:44 PM »
Hi lochussie, I'm in Greenock too so not too far from Glasgow. I have seen quite a few knee surgeons and would highly recommend professor Gordon MacKay. He is based in Rosshall hospital therefore you would need to pay to see him or have private medical insurance but he is a great surgeon and is the best I have been to by far. Other than that mr Blythe at Glasgow royal infirmary is really good too! Hope you get your 2nd opinion very soon! Take care x

Offline lochussie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 10:45:03 AM »
Well, I got second opinion and it is complete opposite of first!  Said do nothing and the originally proposed surgery is more likely to make it worse.  Does anyone have experience of such conflicting opinions?  Get a third opinion, best of 3?  I am obviously leaning towards the option that doesn't write off my summer just now.

Offline lbest

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 02:17:36 PM »
hi lochussie sorry to hear your getting conflicting info from your consultants. This happened to me too and I went for a 3rd opinion. You need to trust your consultant and feel confident in what he is suggesting and if you dont then you need to try and find another consultant or do as you have suggested and get a 3rd opinion. At first I was very embarrassed by getting a 3rd opinion (as 2 of the surgeons worked at the same hospital) but at the end of the day its your knee and your health so you need to be 100% sure that they are doing the right thing. Hope you get a decision soon. Take care x