Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PKR questions  (Read 5097 times)

Offline renegaderob18

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PKR questions
« on: January 27, 2013, 05:51:00 AM »
I am possibly looking at Patellofemoral Replacement(pkr). I have grade 4 chondromalacia and we have tried everything else. At age 35 I am to the point I need a crutch for assistance to get around.  Has anyone had this done and if so, what was the outcome? How long in the hospital, how long on crutches, etc? Also where is your pain located and what are your symptoms?

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
Re: PKR questions
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 10:47:44 PM »
Hello renegaderob18,

In 2005, I was 35, and had bilateral PFR.  I could not make it through a day of work.  Spent most of my down time on a couch, in a bed, or lying on the floor.  My pain was so bad that after surgery I did not use the morphine pump because I was in less pain. 
Let me see.  I had to go through 3 three doctors prior to finding one that would take my situation seriously.  My pain was located along the top and sides of my patella.  I had very limited range of motion and mobility.  My knee cap would catch and lock up.  Every time I bent my knee the patella would ride on the femur and catch, lock up, and pop off.  You cold here and feel the grinding.
Please read up on what to expect after surgery.  I was in the hospital for 5 days.  The day after surgery I was up and walking.  I also buzzed to get out of bed and sit in a chair.  What I would recommend is a passive morn machine (this continuously bends the knee...great for pain management and terrible for PT).  Also get one of those Igloo looking devices that has the hose and pad attached.  You fill this with ice and water.  You place a pillow case over your knee and then the pad.  You will have a velcro wrap to hold this in place.  Plug in the device and cold water filters through the hose.  The pad cools down and "ices" the knee.  Again this is great for pain management.
After surgery I went to PT three times a week.  The most painful part of this was the car ride over to the office.  I could feel every bump in my knees.  I was on a walker for a month, it took two months to drive (manual transmission), walking stairs without severe pain in 3 months, and other items varied.
The one thing one body told me, and I did not see this anywhere, was that some people experience this dull numbing pain.  It does not turn off or shut down.  You feel this in the back of your mind.  You will feel this when sleeping, walking, sitting, in the water, basically everywhere (if you experience this...again not all people experience this).  My pain stopped, turned off, at 22 months.  I was told if this pain goes to 24 months you never get rid of this.  (I can not imagine going through the rest of my life like this).
I have experience days of great pain and great joy.  About 19 months ago I had to have my right knee cleaned out, bone growth and a lateral release.  My left knee is doing better than my right, but not by much. 
If you look at the post two bellow yours, by Mr.F, you can follow my saga.  Also I have several other posts.  If you have any other questions please ask.

Take care and good luck,
Mr.F

Offline renegaderob18

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: PKR questions
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 11:22:35 PM »
My pain is all around my knee cap. Front, both sides, and bottom. Is that normal? A lot of stiffness and have to be careful when standing up from a sitting position. My knee also locks at times and feels unstable. I am also developing cartliage loss at the articular surface of the medial femoral along with some fissuring around the lateral femoral. Would they still do the patellofemoral replacement with those problems do you think?