Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Left Patella ORIF ---Post-Op  (Read 10494 times)

Offline kindergartenteacher

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Left Patella ORIF ---Post-Op
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 02:58:39 AM »
Fiona,

I am so sorry you are unable to drive yet! I cannot imagine being stuck for this long without driving! I have been driving since mid-February or so. Keep doing those exercises, and maybe you will drive soon! :)

Offline curb1me0

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 02:40:44 AM »
I really wish I had seen your posts earlier since I feel like no one on here is in their 20s with a patellar fracture. When I first broke mine I couldn't find anyone saying anything positive about it at all  and I had so many questions! Anyways I am also a 20 something kindergarten teacher with a fractured left patella! I am a few months ahead of you in my recovery though. I was just wondering if you had or were planning on getting your ORIF hardware out anytime soon?

Offline kindergartenteacher

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 04:10:32 AM »
Hello! Sorry I haven't checked this in a while. I am sorry you have had to endure this injury also! Over the summer, my principal asked me to loop with my students to 1st grade, so I have had a lot of changes this year.

I do NOT want my hardware taken out. It bothers me, but I cannot imagine having to go through that surgery & recovery all over again. I am trying (if at all possible) to just cope with the hardware.   

I am now 9 months post-op. I was finally able to jog a little bit yesterday. It felt very awkward, as if I was wearing only 1 shoe or possibly a heel on my left foot. I felt so uneven, but I am sure that is from adjusting to the pressure being put on my knee while jogging. Have you experienced that before? I am hoping that it gets better, but the hardware rubs my muscles badly.

Offline ceaton64

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 07:27:15 AM »
I do not really mean to sound like a negative nellie, but I am shocked that so many on here are still getting wires? My Dr. used internal dissolvable sutures in place of those wires. What is going on here? Why are some doctors doing one thing and others are not? I just do not get it!!!!!I hope anyone that comes on here before their surgery will question their Doctor about their methods!

Peace and cheers,
Christina

Offline afternoondelight

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 06:12:18 PM »
Hi there,

I am of similar age than you, male, and while I also had a displaced fracture, my break was pretty clean and vertical. I only needed screws to piece it back together, no wires.

However, I think your doctor is right, being young definitely helps. I'm 8 months post op and I'm pretty much 90% recovered. I play hockey and I am back skating and playing with no pain at all. I lift, started easy again, but my squat has been progressing normally with slight discomfort, but no real pain. Up to 155 lbs which still feels light.

The only thing that gives me issues is long distance running. Biking feels great, as does swimming, etc. But the impact from running is just too much so far. I think it's probably best to lay off the high impact exercises and move to ones with less. I'm not much of a runner any more as it is, but it's definitely the most strenuous. However, my surgeon told me it will be a full year before all of the fluid and swelling returns to normal levels as the knee is still regulating itself, so, seeing how far I've come in the last 3 months, I imagine the next 3 will be just as promising.

Offline Kamran

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 11:08:59 PM »
Hello there. I had an orif surgery of my left patella 10 days ago, on 27th March. I was hospitalized for 3 days post operation and was started leg raise and foot on 2nd day of post operation. It was very painful and it is been 22 days to my orif and I'm my leg is still in full hard cast. Haven't yet had my stitches removed and feeling periodic pain and wires too. I don't know if I would be able to work and walk without pain but please guide me how long will it take to get things back to normalcy?

Offline caseam

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018, 07:51:07 PM »
I am currently 12 weeks out and still at 70’ish degrees and that’s me on the verge of screaming. I’m 25 and have been swimming every day for a month now and been at PT 2x per week for 6 weeks now... seems like progressing much slower than a lot of the other people on this page.

support