Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Surgery Result  (Read 3817 times)

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Surgery Result
« on: January 24, 2013, 07:19:21 PM »
Had my surgery this morning. Turns out that graft looks great ;D. The problem seems to be the petella. It is not tracking propely.  He did some Chondroplasty and cleaned up some scar tissue. We're going to give it a few months and if no improvement by then we will proceed to a replacement of the medial pateller femoral ligament.  So good news and bad.  Hoping for no more pain soon.
Nov 09 Torn MCL, Articular Cartilage & Lateral Meniscus
April 10 Microfracture Failed/menisectomy
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
Nov 11 Allograft MCL Recon
Jan 13 Chondroplasty, Lat Release
May 13 TTO/Lat Release
Dec 14 lat retinaculum repair
Nov 15 screw removal tighten lat retinaculum

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: Surgery Result
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 09:56:14 AM »
Ok so the outside of my knee was feeling bruised  and I could not figure it out. Then the day of my post op I developed a gigantic knot on the outside of my knee above the height of the knee cap. The entire knee then started swelling so much it looked like a mellon. I was pretty worried but knew I was seeing my OS that afternoon. It got to the point I could not bend my knee and my quad hurt. I described this issue to OS and he looked at me and said oh yeah that's normal with a lateral release. Um...I didn't know you did that.  I had no idea that procedure was even on the table. Well apparently when he opened it up the grafts looked great. The kneecap however was not tracking. I had scar tissue and chondromalacia under the patela. He cleaned all that up and then decided that I needed the lateral release. He is hoping that this will allow the kneecap to track normal and solve the pain issue. He thinks that my kneecap is now the issue instead of the articular cartiledge.  I guess all the surgeries have changed the mechanics of my knee and has created more issues.  He also said the swelling would go down by end of weekend. Well, the swelling is still awful!!  It feels like my knee is going to explode. I am still getting the same joint line pain when I walk. I am trying really hard to stay positive. I need to give this procedure a couple months. If this doesn't work he will do an osteotomy or the other option would be to replace the patella tendon. Crossing fingers that the lateral release worked.

Do any of you have experience with the lateral release and was it successful or not. I want the good the bad and the ugly truth!!

As always, feel free to ask question. I am always happy to share my story.

Jenni :)

April '10 Microfracture Failed
Dec '10 Autograft Failed
August '11 Scope, cleaned up kneecap, Chondroplasty
Nov '11 Allograft, MCL Reconstruction
Jan '13 Scope Chondroplasty, Lateral Release
Nov 09 Torn MCL, Articular Cartilage & Lateral Meniscus
April 10 Microfracture Failed/menisectomy
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
Nov 11 Allograft MCL Recon
Jan 13 Chondroplasty, Lat Release