Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patella tendon rupture? from newbie  (Read 2871 times)

Offline Red Shoe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella tendon rupture? from newbie
« on: March 20, 2013, 12:33:54 PM »
Hi there, this is my first post on here although I have found this site very usefull over the past few years as a reference :). Last December I had a bone growth removed from my patella and part of the patella removed. I have had several patch up jobs over the years on both knees. My wear is max grade due to misalignment of both knees. Since the op I have really struggled to walk, even after physio and hydro and working hard to get leg back to something normal. I have thought over the past few weeks there was something very wrong and even joked that the consultant had left his Rolex watch in there :o . I finally got to see my consultant last friday. After examination and asking me to try and walk he suggested that I may have ruptured my patella tendon. He has referred me for an mri scan and I'm awaiting a call. This would explain the swelling above the knee and my leg only wanting to walk backwards. Im a self employed musician and have loads of gigs this year and was wondering what the procedure for repair is? I was also wondering as it's been weeks since it may have happened, can it be repaired? Sorry for lots of questions from a newbie  :-\

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Patella tendon rupture? from newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 02:09:18 PM »
Hi Redshoe and welcome to the PRT webpage.

I am attaching a set of documents which will fully describe your Ruptured Patella Tendon READ WITH CARE.

You should note that the OS will drill 3/4 holes into your kneecap (patella) and reattach the ruptured Tendon.  This maybe affixed with sutres or wire.  You will be in a cast or a brace for at least six week, and in theory, this will be removed after 6/8 weeks.  Then the fun starts with the rehab - you will come out of the afixment with about 30/40 ROM Range of Movement, and the tendon has got be stretched and stretched to reach the first mile stone of 90ROM within 12 weeks.  The next milestone will be 120ROM within 12 weeks or so.   You will be on crutches to start with, then a stick/cane and then one cane.

DON`t push it, the tendon has got to heal.

READ SOME OF THE PREVIOUS POSTS ON THIS THREAD  (Ruptured Patella Tendon Sugery)

How did you sustain your RPT injury?  Where do you live.

ASK questions - lots of buddies out here to help you

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Red Shoe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »
Eeeeek but thank you JohnK. My op was done on Dec the 1st and I was given a cancellation so rushed through. After surgery I didn't get to see my consultant and was given the standard arthroscopy leaflet. Trying to be a clever cloggs I thought "Ah, had loads of these so know what to do". It was only when I had my stitches out at my gps that I realised my surgery had been open. For weeks I struggled and felt as if there was something wobbling in my knee. I managed to get to see his registrar in January who gave me a steroid shot to reduce swelling. He said he thought the bone had bled and caused internal bleeding and it would settle down. So, I came away thinking "Ok, ice, elevate, rest and work on vmo's. My leg became weaker and I couldn't use it, it is stiff and won't move forward. I then managed finally to see my consultant last friday. This is when he examined and pointed out the swelling above the knee. He said he had removed Osteophyte from knee cap along with a portion of patella. He said he had done this to try and reduce wear and enable my leg to bend backwards properly when I walk. He also said that he thought the tendon may have ruptured either during surgery. I feel like a blooming Stork! :'( and I can't bare any weight on it. I also have a dent where the tendon seems to stop, about three inches above my knee cap. I have always had faith in my consultant, he works at the Royal Orthopeadic Hospital in south Birmingham (where I live). I have so many gigs and concerts booked this year that it looks as if I will be singing on crutches! My main worry is that it's been left for ages before diagnosis and I have to wait for a mri, even though he has rushed one through you still have to wait a couple of weeks. Thank's ever so much for responding to my question, really appreciate it.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 07:03:04 PM »
Hi Red shoe -    a typical sign of how very rare your RPT injury is - My Consultant, who is now a professor, has only done two in 28 years - as he often said - a typical sports injury, although in my case, I slipped on black ice. It could take up to a year to get a decent ROM, but anything over 120 is a bonus

Singing on crutches maybe, although in theory, they should be dispensed with within three months -

Keep your chin up, listen to your knee - read, read and ASK questions,  but you won`t be dancing about on the stage.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Red Shoe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 09:07:23 AM »
Thanks JohnK, I wish I knew how it had been done :-\ I;m thinking I may have done it not long after the op as I tried to get back working too soon. Ironicaly I'm well known for singing on one leg and perhaps I put too much pressure on it. I'm thinking a wheel chair maybe more appropriate as this is my job and I have so many commitments. I'm hoping my consultant has got it wrong :'( Has anyone ever had excrutiating pain at the back of the leg behind the knee from this injury? The pain nearly floors me and I'm wondering if it's because my knee is pushing backwards and I'm walking differently? Oh well, what will be will be. Do feel free to come to our gigs, if you add an s to my user name you will work out the band I'm in.

Kindest Regards and thanks again

Offline Red Shoe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 09:13:47 AM »
Sorry, I meant thanks John 42 :)

Offline Red Shoe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 01:34:39 PM »
I've had my MRI date come through for the 9th of April. As it's been left for so long I'm now wondering if my consultant thinks it's not an emergency? I have emailed PALS and asked for some advice after reading up on such an injury. I had a steroid injection in January and have read this can cause a tendon rupture. Cheers for all the info on here and wish me luck  ::)

Offline Sara10

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
    • My patellar tendinosis
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 11:15:50 PM »
Hi Red Shoe

CALL YOUR INSURANCE!    Even with "emergency" MRI's they put you on the pack burner.   Call them and ask if there is anything they can do to expedite this.  That you are in pain and can't walk.  Work up some tears.  Exaggerate what you can it helps.   I did this after 2 weeks of waiting for the process to go through and I couldn't wait any longer and they got in me in within 72 hours.  Sure it was a 6:30 in the morning appointment,  but they'll get you in.
11/2012 R patellar tendon injury, immediate quad atrophy
12/2012 MRI- tendinosis
1/2013- OS- Patellar tendinitis and Chondromalacia
3/2013 L Patellar tendon pop, no quad atrophy
7/5/13   Normal MRI, right knee tendinosis cured!

Offline Red Shoe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 12:28:23 PM »
Hi Sarah, sadly I don't have private insurance :'( I've always been treated by the NHS and up to now have never had any problems. My scan is next tuesday and I've been guaranteed that if it's a rupture I will be notified asap. I have developed a swelling further up the thigh and wondering if this is where the quad stops. After reading all of your posts on ruptures I can't understand how I can walk on it. I remember a few weeks back when I had the most searing pain and couldn't stand for days but after icing it I started to be able to stand. I drag the affected leg and use my left to walk forward but if it's ruptured then surely I wouldn't be able to walk at all ? Am confused and anxious as to the future  :-\. I will get round to putting up all my past ops on here as I noticed others have under their profile.

Have a good weekend folks

Caz

Offline Red Shoe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 12:30:50 PM »
That should say "I use the right leg", never been good at telling the difference ;)

Offline Red Shoe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 11:35:29 AM »
Hi folks, I've been on a bit of a rollercoaster that's why I haven't posted for awhile. I waited ages for my mri results, which gave me hope that I may not have torn my quad tendon. I assumed they would get back to me asap if I had. Whilst I was waiting I fell quite badly as my leg buckled. My sister arranged for me to see a private physiotherapist at the University of Birmingham. As soon as he saw my leg he said it needed bracing asap and he felt that my tendon wasn't torn but my quad was damaged and my ACL ligaments were stretched to the point of snapping  :'( He was horrified that I hadn't been offered physio after my op and suggested I use a muscle stimulater as well as doing gentle exercises. Whilst I was there I recieved a call from my consultants registrar (spooky) He said that my tendon was not torn but I had quad damage. I explained I was with a private physio and asked if he would speak to him. The physio asked why I hadn't been given physiotherapy after my op, which had been a considerable procedure (large part of the patella removed). Because I have been struggling on my own to do exercises that's probably how I damaged my quad :-\ The registrar said he would see me in clinic and find out why this had happened. I waited over the next few days and carried on with the correct exercises plus using a muscle stimulator. In the end I contacted Pals and made a complaint. I really didn't want to do this as the hospital have always treated me well but I felt let down. It seems I just got lost in the system and turned out that my consultant has gone off long term sick. I requested an appointment with Mr Green who I believe is the bees knees of knees. Mr Green has agreed to see me in June and sort me out and I start my physio under the hospital next week. Two weeks ago I had to see my new hip consultant (have been having steroid jabs for years for pain) He informed my I have a tear in the hip and a 3cm lession on the bone. I had an mri last Nov on hip and had been waiting for the results. He has offered me a new hip or he could try a microfracture which may give me an extra two years. The problem is that my left leg is so week because of quad damage, I can't have hip done until it can bare weight. What a mess !! :'( I am going back in September to see hip chappie and hopefully my leg should have improved, depending on what Mr Green says. So folks, that's my situation at the moment, at least my quad tendon's not torn.

Caz