Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: partial patellar tendon tear-will current treatment plan make it worse?!  (Read 3866 times)

Offline hawkeyeashton

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
my daughter (18) fell on her knee in our garage in july of last year. of course she wouldn't go to the dr and has had multiple problems since.

while home on christmas break, we went to an orthopaedist who told us that the patellar tendon was ripped, but not torn all the way thru. he told her to do what ever she wanted except jumping and hopping. in fact, he said, go at it full bore-the more you exercise, the faster it will heal. he then told her to apply icy hot before working out, ice afterwards and then heat. so she took his advice and has been working out ever sense. her knee is now HUGE and no amount of aleve, ice or elevation make it better. she is in so much pain she can hardly walk!

so I got on the internet and EVERYTHING that I pulled up says torn tendons need to be immobilized for 3-6 weeks followed by intense PT.

did my daughter get the wrong treatment plan??
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 07:53:22 PM by hawkeyeashton »

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
Re: treatment plan doesn't add up!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 07:35:17 PM »
Ouch, poor thing. I don't really know about the patellar tendon I'm afraid, but I would suggest that your daughter sees her doctor ASAP if her knee is as you describe. As for the overuse thing, there are lots of knowledge people on here, and I'm sure someone with more appropriate experience will be happy to comment, but it might be idea to rename your query with some specific information otherwise they won't see it! Something like "patellar tendon partial tear, has treatment plan made it worse?!" or similar...

Good luck,

Brams  ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 07:37:44 PM by Brambledog »
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Online John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 209
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Hi

I would firstly suggest that you report on the Ruptured Patella Tendon Surgery webpage, as there are quite a number of patients on this site to help you.

Also, if you let me have your e-mail address, I will send you a set of documents, which I have compiled over the years, which explains in detail the injury and the rehab protocol.

A partly torn, shredded or ruptured Patella tendon, needs to be treated with care and PATIENCE
with a long rehab.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK
[email protected]
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline nelmsc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi

I would firstly suggest that you report on the Ruptured Patella Tendon Surgery webpage, as there are quite a number of patients on this site to help you.

Also, if you let me have your e-mail address, I will send you a set of documents, which I have compiled over the years, which explains in detail the injury and the rehab protocol.

A partly torn, shredded or ruptured Patella tendon, needs to be treated with care and PATIENCE
with a long rehab.

Hey John, have tried to contact you via email to no avail..
Wondering if you could possibly fwd me the documents you have compiled.?  [email protected]

I'm 6 weeks post op full patellar rupture as (whilst also doing some nice damage to my acl/pcl)

Thanks in advance John, really appreciaite it  :)

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK
[email protected]

Online John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 209
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Hi

attached a set of documents which I have compiled over the years - read with care

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon