Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osteotomy - Can you return to running and physical activity? HELP  (Read 770 times)

Offline Curz

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
 I am 26 years old and had an ACL hamsring graft operation back in Feb 2011. This re-ruptured in Feb 2012. I returned to the doctor and explained the circumstances and the pains I'm getting and prior to having the 2nd ACL reconstruction I've been told that I need an Osteotomy on my knee to get rid of the pain and re-align my knee.

I'm only 26 and want to be able to return to running/physical activity. I have a physical job which means I'm on my feet a lot and sometimes I need to restrain people. Obviously I need to get rid of the pain but want to know if anyone has had this operation at a similar age and if they have been able to return to full activity (I'm not interested in returning to contact sports - that was the cause of the rupture to the first ACL reconstruction).

Thanks in anticipation,

Matt
Tore acl 2007 and meniscus
Acl recon op and meniscus 2011
Tore reconstructed ACL feb 2012 and meniscus gone 2012
Leg out of alignent jan 2013 with lots of pain
HIgh tibial osteotomy on left knee june 2013. Patella tendon acl recon failed during operation june 2013.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 399
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Osteotomy - Can you return to running and physical activity? HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 06:41:39 PM »
There are different types of osteotomy, depending on which part of the knee needs to be offloaded.

Have a look in the osteotomy section http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=34.0

Certainly, some posters have returned to cycling and possibly light jogging?

Also, this is very good and informative

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/559

Ask your surgeon about his patients returning to sport too :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: Osteotomy - Can you return to running and physical activity? HELP
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 08:51:25 PM »
Well, it's not a procedure you should do without getting several opinions and then thoroughly understanding all the options available to you (and what each type of procedure/variant entails), but leaving all that aside for a minute...sure. You can absolutely return to sports. That's why many of us have it done to begin with--it allows us to keep our own bits and return to athletics. (Look at Dara Torres, TTT; or Steve Yzerman, DFO; if you want to see pro athletes...and the blogs/reports of several folks on here for "normal" athletes)

I am a duathlete, and last season, I'd say I averaged 8-12 hours a week running and riding and on the ET. I typically ride 6-9 times a week, run 3, and then ET or pool run 2-3 times. Although I've been running my entire life, I'm not, nor have I ever been a marathoner, I'm fine up  to half marathon/15k distance.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

support