Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I was told that I need to have a Rotational Osteotomy  (Read 724 times)

Offline KnockKnees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I was told that I need to have a Rotational Osteotomy
« on: January 18, 2013, 12:17:47 AM »
Hello,  It was confirmed that I need to go out of state to have a surgery on both of my legs( Rotational Osteotomy) to to straighten them. I have miserable Malalignment and in my knees and hips, and for the last 2 years my left knee has been causing me pain. Recently though, I would say for the last few months, my left knee has started to grind. This mainly occurs when I walk up steps, get out of bed, or crouch down, but If I bed down to low I often need help to get back up.

The reason I am posting here, is to inquire how this procedure is done. Despite being seen by two doctors neither of them have actually explained what will happen.  The one did say that the surgery depends on whether or not they have to move more than one bone, and that is up to the person performing the surgery.  HAs anyone had this done? If so what is the basic procedure, and healing time? Is it out patient?

I'm really nervous.

Thanks

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
Re: I was told that I need to have a Rotational Osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 09:39:59 AM »
Hi, i'm sorry to hear that you are a part of the "twisted" folks. I had both my femurs derotated a couple years ago. It was a long and painful process but i'm glad I did it. What are the degrees of rotation of your legs? My femurs were at 67 degrees of rotation.... so it was worth it for me to have the surgery.

The procedure is done differently depending on the OS. Mine used a blade plate and screws, but others also use a rod in the femur. It also depends on whether they are going to derotate your femur, or your tibia. I was in the hospital for 4 days and on crutches for about 8 weeks after my surgery. It was a long recovery but the pain I was in pre-surgery made it all worthwhile.

Hope all goes well for you.
Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 25
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 01:38:26 PM »
The procedure is basically done by cutting the bone and rotating it some number of degrees back to "normal." The bone is then fixed with something to hold the bones together. Like Lyndsey said, the fixation can be a plate or a rod or even an external fixator contraption.

I traveled out of state too. I had mine done with plates, but of the lower profile type from Lyndsey's. I doubt it will be done as an outpatient procedure. You will probably have at the minimum a one night stay. I was supposed to stay in the hospital one night, but ended up staying two night because my blood count was a little low.

The bones take about 6 weeks to heal to the point of being permitted to weight bear. Full healing time of the bone can vary and it seems to be that the tibia is a bit more stubborn than the femur.

The full recovery time is really difficult to say because different OSes do the rehab differently and people heal differently. Getting back to function need not be too long, but the full recovery to full strength can be months. Your body has to adjust to things being in a different place and that can take time.

On a good note, I too like Lyndsey am very happy I had my leg derotated. Like you, my left knee was giving me a great deal more pain than my right ever did, but now it rarely hurts and I haven't had one instance of instability. It's a bit of a journey, but the end has been worth it.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline KnockKnees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 07:37:34 PM »
Thank you for the information. I do not know the exact degrees, I was never given any paper work. I just got sent to another doctor for a second opinion and then that Dr. recommend the surgery.  The Second Dr. then contacted the 1st who then agreed with surgery, and they both want me to go to a 3rd Dr. to have this done. It's hecka confusing to me ( so many Drs) but I guess the 3rd one is a master of this procedure.

I called today to make an appointment but they said to call back Tuesday.

support